I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

headlight headache

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CIVINATION is an unknown quantity at this point
headlight headache

hi new to this forum I am looking for help on a much discussed topic here but I have a headlight problem bulbs are good relays are good fuses ok changed headlight switch and my car a 2001 coupe is not under the recall just curious if there is something else I am missing any advice would be great thanks
Old 03-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: headlight headache

I have a headlight problem
What exactly is the problem?

Low beams inop?
or High beams inop?
Or both?
Parking lights work?
Old 03-22-2016
Registered!!

I have no low beams the high beams work I have checked everything I can think of even with changing the switch and I know the one I installed is good unless there is something I don't know about I am very mechanically inclined but this one has me baffled
Old 03-22-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...6&d=1281967392

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...0&d=1267189121

The circuit should be quite simple to troubleshoot..... the headlight switch is providing a ground path for either the low beams or the high beams.

Was it ever worked on for the "no low beams" recall at any point ???
Old 03-22-2016
Registered!!

no the vin #I checked and it wasn't on the recall list so that's why I changed the switch after checking bulbs fuses and relays but I am leaning towards ground thanks for the reply I also have a 2014 civic I am sure I would be far more complicated than my 01 hope I never have to find out lol.
Old 03-22-2016

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The 06+ is simple when you look at it.

With headlights on and set to low, provide a good ground path to the RED/WHT (6)

I suggest using an alligator clip clamped to a big needle, then you can pierce the wire with no damage, no stripping or touch it to the exposed metal in the #6 where RED/WHT goes in. See if low beams work when grounded
Old 03-22-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
The 06+ is simple when you look at it.

With headlights on and set to low, provide a good ground path to the RED/WHT (6)

I suggest using an alligator clip clamped to a big needle, then you can pierce the wire with no damage, no stripping or touch it to the exposed metal in the #6 where RED/WHT goes in. See if low beams work when grounded
I will try that tomorrow thanks for the info this is a great forum
Old 03-22-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

This 01 Civic is a Canadian car? It's a bit different from a US model-- mostly due to daytime running lights and extra relays.
The headlight wiring diagrams are pretty dang busy on the Canadian models, compared to the US models.
You've got a DRL control unit....probably under the drivers side of the dash.
You've got a "low beam cut" relay and a "DRL" relay ...looks like they should be in a small box by themselves....might be under the dash or out in the engine compartment....my diagrams don't show where it really is and I don't remember ever having to figure this out in person.

In the description Craig gave you, the wire color on your #6 terminal should be Red/Yellow. Yes, ground it.

At the same time the red/yellow becomes grounded, the blue/red next to it (#7) must also become grounded. This turns on the headlight relays which then supply 12v+ to the headlight bulbs.

The red/yellow leads from the headlight switch to the low beam cut relay, the color changes to red/white at the relay and goes to the fusebox junctions, to the headlight bulbs.
Bla bla bla.
IF you have ground on the red/yellow, but at the headlight bulbs there is no ground on their red/white, then you need to locate the low beam cut relay and do some checking there.

Do the DRL lights work correctly? They are on dim when the car is on?
When you turn the headlight switch ON for low beams, do the DRL lights turn off or do they stay on ?
Old 03-22-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

headlight switch recall?
Old 03-24-2016
Registered!!

Tried the ground on the red / yellow and blue wire but nothing had a look at the wiring diagram and I'm going to try the low beam cut relay just finding the time is the problem work to much thanks again for all the replies when I finally find and repair it I will post and let you all know what it is
Old 03-24-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
headlight switch recall?
didn't qualify for recall changed the switch anyway but no solution
Old 03-24-2016

Originally Posted by CIVINATION
and blue wire
NOT THE BLUE WIRE!!!!!
Awww jeez, now you dun did it. Now all yer babies will be born naked.

Blue/red is very different from blue. When dealing with wiring, getting the correct correct color is critical.
Old 03-24-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
NOT THE BLUE WIRE!!!!!
Awww jeez, now you dun did it. Now all yer babies will be born naked.

Blue/red is very different from blue. When dealing with wiring, getting the correct correct color is critical.
haha when looking back at my post I didn't type in red/blue I am not real computer savvy but it was red/yellow blue red egg on my face
Old 03-25-2016
Registered!!

haha when looking back at my post I didn't type in red/blue I am not real computer savvy but it was red/yellow blue red egg on my face
Well I retried the ground on red/yellow and red/blue but still nothing changed the DRL module but cannot find a relay for the DRL
Old 03-25-2016

Well I retried the ground on red/yellow and red/blue but still nothing changed the DRL module but cannot find a relay for the DRL
Youre gonna need to locate those relays, 'DRL' and 'LOW BEAM CUT'.... Both are probably in a small housing or box together.

I looked at Google images but didn't find anything solid.
Old 03-26-2016
Registered!!

Youre gonna need to locate those relays, 'DRL' and 'LOW BEAM CUT'.... Both are probably in a small housing or box together.

I looked at Google images but didn't find anything solid.
ok thanks for the help appreciate it
Old 03-26-2016

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...3&d=1232212860

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...4&d=1232212860
Old 03-26-2016
Registered!!

well big update after many hours of searching I traced all the wiring from the headlight switch finally found the cut relay and low and behold a broken wire going into the bottom of the 5 prong relay had I not chased the wiring never would have found it now just waiting for my hair to grow back I would like to thank everyone for their support and information thank you John.
Old 03-26-2016

Woohoo!

Post a few pictures showing the relay box and where it is in the car, that will help searchers in the future
Old 03-26-2016
Registered!!

Woohoo!

Post a few pictures showing the relay box and where it is in the car, that will help searchers in the future
I will try to get some pics but if you drop out the glove box there are two relays on the left black and gray and the black is 4 prong and the gray next to it is a 5 prong the gray is the low beam cut relay
Old 03-26-2016

That info helps (hope I can remember this later)

The factory wiring diagrams we have in the US don't show where the relays are located, and we don't have DRL here on Civics at all until 2006 ...I've only seen a couple Canadian market cars at my shop and I've never had to find those relays in a 7th gen Civic.
Old 03-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
danilo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

well big update after many hours of searching I traced all the wiring from the headlight switch finally found the cut relay and low and behold a broken wire going into the bottom of the 5 prong relay had I not chased the wiring never would have found it now just waiting for my hair to grow back I would like to thank everyone for their support and information thank you John.
Great that you have found and fixed it Does seem 'odd' that wire was broken.
Admittedly Honda uses thin as humanly possible/cheap wires but still.
I Wonder how That happened?