I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Weird electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Byrd is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird electrical issue

I installed infinity components about 2 months ago and for the last couple of weeks they have been cutting out every now and then. Its the weirdest thing because the highs and mids only cut out when im taking a hard left turn or braking hard. before i open my door panels i thought i would throw it out there to see if you all could shed some light on the weird behavior. i have the crossover mounted in my door right next to the handle but i think its odd that they cut out only on left turns(not right) and hard braking. thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-22-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird electrical issue

yeah its a common problem caused by the connectors jiggling or getting corroded. just wrap the speaker wire directly to the speaker terminals.
Old 06-22-2009
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

its loose wiring
Old 06-22-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Also check to see if the speaker terminals for the lower door mounted speakers are shorting against the metal of the door, If they are twisted when mounted they can short to ground easily.
It will kick in the protection circuit to prevent damage to amplifier circuit.
Old 06-28-2009
Registered!!

Thanks for the help. If the door speakers are grounding would that cause all of the speakers to completely cut out? (even the rears) If this is the root of the problem what can i do to fix it? thanks alot everyone
Old 06-29-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, It can cause all 4 to stop (most likely the same output chip drives all 4 speakers)

You just need to take a look and see which on has the terminals close to metal. Very tight area to start.

You can take the speaker loose and try to twist it back away from the metal or you could insulate the exposed metal or the speaker terminals with electrical tape.
Old 07-12-2009
Registered!!

Yep it was shorting out on the left side of the door, I figure thats why it was only cutting out on hard left turns and bumps. Thanks for the help guys.