I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

add-a-circuit vs. ? gps/laser jammer/rd install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brokedown711 is an unknown quantity at this point
add-a-circuit vs. ? gps/laser jammer/rd install

Just getting things planned out in my head for the upcoming electronics install I'll be doing.

2003 civic lx sedan: beltronics RD above rearview, possible tomtom gps hardwire, blinder laser jammer in the near future, viper alarm since I can't find anyone with an OEM keyless for sale (I HATE cutting factory wires)

For the RD, I have to run a wire across the headliner, down the A-pillar and to the fuse box right? there's no ign. switched 12v in the rearview access panel of the dome light? What circuit should I use? One of those "add-a-circuits" that plugs into a fuse spot and has space for two fuses (one for the original fuse and one for the new circuit)

For the tomtom and laser jammer, would the cig. plug be fine? or just tap into the "add-a-circuit" line?

Also, for the alarm that male spade connector on the fuse box is a constant 12v?
Old 06-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: add-a-circuit vs. ? gps/laser jammer/rd install

how about not speeding your car around then you won't need all that and the roads will be a littel safer .
Old 06-27-2009
Registered!!

thanks for your opinion, didn't really ask for it though. that still doesn't cover the gps or alarm.

and im not speeding around residential neighborhoods, actually quite the opposite. as for the highway, your gonna tell me you stick to the posted speed limit? at all times?!

there's been plenty of times that i've been alerted with the RD, i was probably speeding by 5-10mph but having a modified + relatively loud car i'd rather not give any officers a reason to pull me over and hassle me.

besides, your assumptions about my intent are grossly inaccurate. having a RD or laser jammer doesn't give you the license or ability to drive around with excessive speed. At most it gives you time to slow down from a reasonable speed to the posted limit.

Consider these facts: officer hits you with laser @ 1000ft, many jammers are defeated and allow "punch through" (or a speed reading) at a distance <= 500ft, the better systems obviously give you more time to slow down (by either overpowering the gun completely, or not being punched through until 100ft or less)

Either way, you need to be relatively close to the posted limit so you can slow down to that speed limit, then turn off the jammer as not to alert the officer you jammed his gun.

.... "the more you know"

Last edited by brokedown711; 06-27-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

just how fast do you plan on going ???
Old 06-27-2009
Registered!!

i'll give you the answer you want. 10000 mph. good thing my giant rear spoiler keeps me from flying away.
Old 06-28-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

the problem with the add a fuse is that the wires behind the original fuse are still only sized for the original fuse. by adding another, you could exceed the capacity of the wire and cause a fire.
Old 06-28-2009
Registered!!

that was my concern exactly. so what's the best plan of action here? tapping the ignition wire at the ignition harness (this goes to the ignition cylinder at the steering while right?) and running that to a fused distribution block?

I ran my RD off of very small wiring to the dome light in my last car, I had a fuse right at the tap and never had an issue.. but since I have to run he wire all the way down the pillar and to the dash for this car....
Old 06-28-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Jammers are illiegal to own and operate. a Detector isint.

i got mine and a few other audio things off the cigeret lighter. i wired them behind it so i still have the plug w/o ugly wires hang allover the place.

also i HATE cuting factory wires too. when posible i use pigyback harness. i've made my own for the ECU, and both kinds of clusters i have (hybrid and LED) so i can plug any cluster in my car now and go back to stock anytime. (after updating the milage of course )
Old 06-28-2009
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

best solution would be to run a new fused wire from the battery to a relay. use an ignition wire to turn the relay on. then put in-line fuses off the relay as needed. most cheap automotive relays are good for 30A. so you could power all the devices off that. the alarm would need constant power, so you could run that off the battery side.
Old 06-28-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DieMaster
Jammers are illiegal to own and operate. a Detector isint.

i got mine and a few other audio things off the cigeret lighter. i wired them behind it so i still have the plug w/o ugly wires hang allover the place.

also i HATE cuting factory wires too. when posible i use pigyback harness. i've made my own for the ECU, and both kinds of clusters i have (hybrid and LED) so i can plug any cluster in my car now and go back to stock anytime. (after updating the milage of course )
No issues with multiple devices on the cig. lighter circuit? what exactly do you have run off that?

RADAR JAMMERS are illegal to own and operate, without the proper FCC licensing I presume. LASER JAMMERS are not regulated by the FCC, but by the FDA (believe it or not).. Only illegal to operate in a state that specifically outlaws them. If you wanna learn more about the stuff check out radardetector.net

I would be very interested in seeing your "piggyback" harnesses for the cluster and ecu.. curious to see how you accomplished this?!!!

Originally Posted by electric130
best solution would be to run a new fused wire from the battery to a relay. use an ignition wire to turn the relay on. then put in-line fuses off the relay as needed. most cheap automotive relays are good for 30A. so you could power all the devices off that. the alarm would need constant power, so you could run that off the battery side.
Just run multiple wires off the correct relay terminal? I've always considered this but never had enough "gadgets" to require doing so. If I run a power wire for an amp, is it wise to tap that for the relay? or just run two lines?

Last edited by brokedown711; 06-28-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by brokedown711
Just run multiple wires off the correct relay terminal? I've always considered this but never had enough "gadgets" to require doing so. If I run a power wire for an amp, is it wise to tap that for the relay? or just run two lines?
yeah. a typical relay will have the coil on 85 and 86. that would be the ignition and a ground. 87 and 30 will be the contacts. put an in-line fuse off the battery (like an amp would have, they're cheap from autozone) and run it to terminal 30. you can power your alarm from 30 as you want it constant power. 87 is the switched side of the relay. this will power whatever else you want when the key is turned on. cheap relays and bases:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-073

you want this base with the "kick back" diode. when relays de-energize, they have a lot of energy that can damage components. the diode allows this to dissipate safely:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-076

shipping will likely cost more than the parts!
Old 06-28-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brokedown711
I would be very interested in seeing your "piggyback" harnesses for the cluster and ecu.. curious to see how you accomplished this?!!!

the harnest thing is finding the plugs. i had to sacrafice a cluster and a ecu to get the maiting plugs. also i'm a OEM nut! so much so that when i make them all the wires must be the right collor.

the hbrid harness has about 15 wires that arnt used and some of them are hooked up to **censored** and **censored** for a project i'm doing. with summer coming up and because **censored** dosent work yet i swaped back my LED cluster so i have engine temp back.

but yea the hardest part is finding plugs and then repining them w/ the right colors.
Old 07-14-2009
Registered!!

badhabits is an unknown quantity at this point

Late post..

When I set up my amps, I put a distribution block on the inside of the bottom dash panel (under the steering wheel). Then ran from the DB to the trunk for my amps. This way I could hardwire directly into that distribution block. I used 0G from the battery to the DB, and 2x 4G wires from the DB to my 2 amps.

Now I have easy access to a 12v line when I need it.