I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

new battery poppin fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008
You bought a used dog??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
def01tones will become famous soon enough
new battery poppin fuses?

got a red top for the wifeys car n everytime i turn the key it pops a certian fuse. i watched it pop as i turned the key. the car is all stock right now untill the end of the week when i put some beat in it. thats why i got the red top. now my question is: is it the red top the cause of this fuse popping? cuz it wont start with out the fuse. forgot the name of the fuse.

Last edited by def01tones; 06-29-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: red top poppin fuses?

probably, those batteries are wack
Old 06-29-2008
You bought a used dog??

Re: red top poppin fuses?

lol same exact battery works just fine in my car. oh yeah forgot to mention its an 05 carolla. that damn toyota! Honda FTW

well i took back the red top n got one that better fits the car. got $100 back! n that same dam fuse still pops.

the fuse is: AM2 15a charging system, mulitport fuel injection system/sequential mulitport fuel injection system, starting system, SRS airbag system

I NEED HELP! its the fam car, its the wifes car, shes pregnant, the A/C works and my A/C doesnt on the civic.
Old 06-29-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: new battery poppin fuses?

Have you tried upgrading the fuse?
Old 06-29-2008
You bought a used dog??

no need to upgrade the fuse now. i dont have the red top anymore. didnt think u can upgrade the fuse.

i just cant understand why a simple change of the battery would do this.
Old 06-29-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did you get a normal battery and it fixed the problem? optima is trash. yeah you can upgrade the fuse if you want your car to catch on fire. fuses are rated to the gauge of wire used. the whole point of having a fuse is to protect the wire from melting if somehow more current passes through than the wire can handle. if you keep blowing fuses, you upgrade the WIRE size, not the fuse.

Last edited by gearbox; 06-29-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2008
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

sounds like a short somewhere in the system.
Also,Look for faulty grounds along the line.

This may be a long shot....but try a 15A breaker in its place but watch for something getting hot fast, cuz its desigened to reset after it blows every time.

good luck
Old 06-29-2008
You bought a used dog??

yeah i got a normal battery now and it did not fix the prob.

*edit*
just read my first post and i left out a really big stupid chunk. sorry

when i put the red top in i didnt notice the terminals were reversed from the factory battery and i ended up hooking it up wrong. all fuses are fine except that one still pops even with the normal battery when i turn the key to the "on" position without trying to start it. and it doesnt start

Last edited by def01tones; 06-29-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2008
Premium Member

so all you did was swap batteries? and now the car wont start? seems really strange to me. fgcoupe is right tho, if the fuse is blowing, there is a short somewhere. make sure everything is hooked back up the way it was. find the hot wire for that fuse and trace it to see if it got stripped or is touching metal. feel the wires and see if it gets warm just before the fuse blows.

Last edited by gearbox; 06-29-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2008
You bought a used dog??

read last post^^ yeah i f*cked up. oops
Old 06-29-2008
Premium Member

yeah then its something more serious. i have no idea where to even start looking.
Old 06-29-2008
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

holy ****!
you hooked it up backwards? you should have noticed this the very second you hooked up the last cable to the battery in reverse polarity!

*SPARK*

anyhow....yea, this is not good!
it should have snapped all of your fuses pertaining to the charging system and perhaps the rest of the big relays and/or fuses under the hood and under the dash. But....it also should have saved the car from serious damage via FUSES. With that being said....my first guess is a wire somewhere did in fact short out to the chassis, look for this along your wiring-travels!
start under the hood and inspect ALL wires in and around the harness, through the firewall. Then its in the car under the dash and everywhere else!

make sure to start checking for continuity and bad grounds & shorts along the way using a Voltmeter set on VDC.
Old 06-29-2008
Registered!!

oh...

btw, the cable goes from the BAT POS+ to the starter!

you may have cooked the solenoid and/or starter itself.
Old 06-30-2008
You bought a used dog??

...wow

Last edited by def01tones; 06-30-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2008
You bought a used dog??

so hows the skyline comin along??
Old 06-30-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You have a dead short, most likely from the reversal. Don't ever use a larger fuse. You may have shorted the diode pack in the alternator (or worse with list of items for that fuse)

What year Corolla ?
Old 06-30-2008
Premium Member

well start by finding that wire that has the fuse popping. make sure it looks okay or if its melted, you have to replace it. good luck man, this could be a long project. once you get the fuse to stop blowing, you may discover other things that dont work like alternator, starter, etc. if you ever get the car started, take it to advance and get a free alternator test.
Old 06-30-2008
You bought a used dog??

its an 05 Corolla S. My father inlaw is gonna have his diesel mechanic look at the car. He knows more bout the electrical stuff than I do.

I really appreiciate everyones help thus far. I got way more help here than toyotanation. I had no idea what to do. Thanx a bunch. Rep for everyone cuz I didn't get flamed for my stupidity! Haha

Last edited by def01tones; 06-30-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2008

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by def01tones
its an 05 Corolla S.
I have 04 factory service in PDF, if you need some of the info from it let me know.
Old 07-01-2008
You bought a used dog??

Originally Posted by CraigW
I have 04 factory service in PDF, if you need some of the info from it let me know.
that would be awesome!
Old 07-01-2008
You bought a used dog??

could I have possibly fried the computer?
Old 07-02-2008

I put together some files from the manual, PM with an E-Mail and I will send them to you. They are PDFs.