I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

guage backround light problem

Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dspeedcrazy02 is an unknown quantity at this point
guage backround light problem

i have an 02 civic lx.a while ago my guage backround lights started flickering when i turned them on. after a while, they just stayed off i have no clue what or why.does anyone have any advice.
Old 07-03-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: guage backround light problem

Is the cluster illumination fully out or just sections dark ?? (sections could mean bulbs needed)

Are the lights for the climate controls illumination working ??
Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

the indecators and the guage needles are all working.the backround lights are not.Its really weird because the lights first started flickering on and off, then all of the sudden, they just wont work anymore at all.
Old 07-03-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Climate control lights o.k ??

You could try removing and re-connecting (re-seating) the connectors at the back of the cluster.

You could also move connectors gently with them still being connected and the lights on to see if the cluster illumination lights flicker on/off when moved.
Old 07-03-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Background lights aren't on, but the needles are?
Old 07-03-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think he means the needles are working, not lit up tho. do your other dash lights work around the radio? sounds like something messed up in the cluster.
Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

my needles in my car light up red,they are working,but the backround ones are not. i will check the connections behind the cluster and get back
Old 07-04-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

ur bulbs are probably burnt out for the guages...
Old 07-04-2008
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
ur bulbs are probably burnt out for the guages...
Not if they're flickering
Old 07-04-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^yes it could be if they are flickering. his guages are lit by incandescent...not LED like the 03+
Old 07-04-2008
Registered!!

what is incandescent?
Old 07-04-2008
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

eh I've never seen an incadenscent flicker for more then 3 seconds before it burns out.

An incandescent is a fillament bulb.

Not this big but you get the picture.
Old 07-04-2008
Registered!!

it flickered for months, so it must be an eletrical problem! i still have to check the connectors to see
Old 07-04-2008
Registered!!

CaliDanSD has a spectacular aura aboutCaliDanSD has a spectacular aura about

Could also be burnt out/ broken filament. It would flicker if it just barely connects and disconnects. And now it could be completely broken.
Old 07-05-2008
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

was this an automatic or manual? i have a manual gauge cluster for sale off an 02 if you want a replacement.
Old 07-06-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Your needles and gauges use the same lights in the 01-02 style gauges. There's no way your needles could light up and your gauges could not if its the four-circle style. Not saying you're wrong, I've just taken apart and played with the wiring on way too many of these types of clusters.