I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Headlights dim

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rdwarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Headlights dim

I installed a small system into my 05 Civic LX SE.. a new head unit, two subs, and a Rockford Fosgate 325.1 325watt amp. My headlights dim if I don't set the gain low or the LP to about 80hz or less. I know about the Big 3 but I don't have the tools to do that. But even without the Big 3, shouldn't this not happen with such a small system? Shouldn't our cars be able to handle this fine? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Headlights dim

this is the only thing that completely stopped the dimming for me. its a voltage converter that outputs steady 15.4v to the bulbs, even if your car input drops below 12v. and it makes the lights noticably brighter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CATZ-...spagenameZWDVW

my 02 civic with the boosters installed, using clear H4 bulbs

Old 01-03-2008
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

nah your lights are dimming for a reason, the system might seem small to you but not for our cars. its going to dim. a stronger battery, stronger alternator, the thing that gearbox posted, those things might change that. just stay away from a capacitor.
Old 01-03-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my lights used to dim all the time and i dont even have a sub, just a small speaker amp. they dimmed anytime i used anything like windows, wipers, ac, whatever. weak alternator ftl. option 2, get hids. their ballast also regulates power to the bulb so no dimming.
Old 01-03-2008
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

yea, but if you get crappy HIDs... yak... i hate seeing that.. its so hard to find a decent set that wont make you look like you have a damn bug zapper lamp inside ur headlight
Old 02-10-2008
Registered!!

jee88 is an unknown quantity at this point

why did u say to stay away from a cap? :S
Old 02-10-2008
Premium Member

it doesnt do anything to solve the actual problem, which is a lack of power. it just covers it up. the cap also uses battery power to keep itself charged, so its just another drain on the system.
Old 02-11-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

stock alternator puts out 840w. several hundred of that is reserved for critical car operations. turn your lights on at night, and you'll eat up another couple hundred. so even a small system can exhaust what the stock alt can put out.
Old 02-11-2008
Premium Member

yeah even when i was running two subs and had two total amps, my battery hated me. it always felt like something was wrong, like it was barely charged enough to work. and the headlights would dim when the bass hit. haha i remember those days.
Old 02-11-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I'm running the same amp as you on a single sub and my setup is fine as long as I don't crank it. I also run another 120 watt amp for the speakers and a computer in the trunk so it sounds like you have another issue here as well. However I also realize I'm on the brink of killing my battery so I'll be upgrading my alternator/battery/wiring in a few months and I suggest you do too. Why have a good system if it works like ****?
Old 02-11-2008
Registered!!

w7 civic is an unknown quantity at this point

hey I have a jl audio w7 in my trunk with a alpine amp besides dynamat what do you guys do to stop the noise
Old 02-11-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by w7 civic
hey I have a jl audio w7 in my trunk with a alpine amp besides dynamat what do you guys do to stop the noise
are you asking a question or making a statement? use some punctuation! either way, don't hijack threads. do a search first and then post a new thread if you don't find an answer.
Old 02-11-2008
Registered!!

carter is an unknown quantity at this point

How many cold cranking amps does a regular stock honda civic battery have?

I saw some batterys putting out 720 cold cranking amps like AcDelco and stuff like that. What kind of battery would you lean towards?
Old 02-11-2008
Registered!!

mooze is an unknown quantity at this point

get something to hold the voltage up. hi-output alternator or cap or regulator.
Old 02-11-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

no cap genius. reading > you. (stolen). Yea in my car i have two amps pulling around 800watts (no clue how many amps) and when its cranked it always feels like the car is struggling.
Old 03-27-2008
Registered!!

thehinge is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm.... slightly modded RF 4004 (overcapped internally/transistors upgraded) running Boston 6.5Pros up front and an RF HX2 12" 2 ohm DVC bridged on the rear channels, with stock, inherited, 2004 Civic VP inc. stock battery and a quality 1F cap, no issues. Am I lucky or something? I had the same setup in an '88 Pulsar with zero issues in over 8 years (although original amp was a modded 400.4 and I've been doing this stuff since 1986).

My van uses 2-RF OS 225.2 amps+an RF OS 40.2 for rear fill, 2 DVC HX2 4 ohm 12's, BA 6.5x3Pros with extra 6.5 LF in each door on custom LP network (2-6.5's, 1-4"mid. 1-1" tweet per door and glassed in) running @318WRMS per side@1.81ohms) on doors, 1206WRMS on on subs, and 4x6 plates on rear fill with 2-1F caps and a friggin' Duralast Gold battery (had Optimas, they all died and I'm broke these days).

Maybe I'm nuts, but my s**t works on a daily basis. FWIW the van does an easy 141dB+ w/ no issues with gains set low and the Pulsar did 130+(did 128 with an OS POWER series 8" in a bandpass box), the Civic has not been RTA'd yet but I think she's good for 129+w/o tweaking.

Maybe you have a weak alternator or crap ground? Although, I do look at that tiny stock battery and wonder how long she will last.
Old 03-28-2008
Registered!!

hondaman03 is an unknown quantity at this point

it not hard to add another batt. or two just add a batt. and be done with it.

Last edited by hondaman03; 03-28-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-2008
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

I had a 1500watt alpine audio system in my stock 7th gen civic and my car never had power issues.