I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

trunk idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sittinon17s is an unknown quantity at this point
trunk idea

i have a good idea for how to do my trunk up, but i need a new floor to it. i was going to fiberglass the trunk then take a measurement of the very edge of it, but thats not real accurate or practical. if anyone has any way of taking an outline of the trunk i would appreciate a suggestion
Old 08-01-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
cardboard taped together. look at the pics in "my ride" section.
Old 08-01-2005
Registered!!

thats almost exactly what i want to do but with wood. i looked at the DIY for a custom sub trunk, but he says trace, well, wtf? what do i trace on? do i just tape the cardboard together and fold it up?
Old 08-01-2005
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
lol Mine IS wood. It's just wrapped with suede. You can always trace that crappy trunk particleboard that comes in your trunk but otherwise you tape small pieces of cardboard together on the outsides and then you can fit larger ones on the inside. The point it that you could not fit the piece as an entire piece of wood in and out but cardboard you can fold. So you pull it all out, trace it out on wood and then cut it into small enough pieces to get in back into the trunk as wood. Look at mine. It's 3 pieces.
Old 08-01-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
once i had the large center parts in i just put a piece of paper in the trunk and cut the shape with a razor blabe then used it as a template. if it didnt fit i grabbed the jig saw and cut the wood down a lil more. very simple. just dont fear wood working. but respect the tools
Old 08-01-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
trace the stock piece of carpet
Old 08-01-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
trace the stock piece of carpet

good idea too
Old 08-01-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
the stock carpet or the board that comes in your trunk might not be a perfect fit but you can use it as a start to cut your wood out. easiest thing to do I think would be to take the board and having it laying in your trunk, mark the areas where you need to change the shape (add to the template) and then just draw that in when you trace it out on to the sheet to be cut. it might not be perfect the first time, but cut it down a couple times and it should fit really well.
Old 08-01-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
my stock carpet was a perfect template. I beveled the top edges so it didn't stick up. I'm sure that not everyone's carpet is the same though, and some won't be a perfect fit.
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
if your stock carpet isnt a fit, the cardboard is a great idea

when I do it, I cut it into strips, then push it up agasint the edge, and staplegun it to a scrap of wood. when I pull it out, its a perfect contour at the height I need of the floor I want to make.
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

the other day when i posted this i tried just making a basic shape, with basic measurements, but since its slanted and theres that one strip of off white caulk crap that makes it wider than whats beneath it. i dunno, im gonna try it again but ill measure it 10 times before i cut it this round.

and when i cut it in half to fit it in, it fell inwards, i guess i'd have to lay another board across the top and bottom to keep it straight. if all else fails i could always fiberglass it, that shouldnt be too hard, just $$
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
dont cut it in half. that will leave an ugly seam right on the middle for all to see.

by making two seams, one to either side, noone is the wiser. it also simplifies your work. you have one "main" piece that is as wide as the narrowest part of your trunk. the sides will be straight, and the cabin boundary will be straight, you just have to cut an arc in the back where the trim that covers the latch is. Once that is in place, you can use the cardboard trick for each side. each seam will be peftectly straight and ideal for a "carpet hinge" so to speak.

seamless floor. OEM look. perfect.
Old 08-04-2005
Premium Member

check my pics i put 2 seams in