Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   trunk idea (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/222183-trunk-idea.html)

sittinon17s 08-01-2005 10:52 AM

trunk idea

i have a good idea for how to do my trunk up, but i need a new floor to it. i was going to fiberglass the trunk then take a measurement of the very edge of it, but thats not real accurate or practical. if anyone has any way of taking an outline of the trunk i would appreciate a suggestion :)

Rufus 08-01-2005 11:17 AM

cardboard taped together. look at the pics in "my ride" section.

sittinon17s 08-01-2005 11:36 AM

thats almost exactly what i want to do but with wood. i looked at the DIY for a custom sub trunk, but he says trace, well, wtf? what do i trace on? do i just tape the cardboard together and fold it up?

Rufus 08-01-2005 11:42 AM

lol Mine IS wood. It's just wrapped with suede. You can always trace that crappy trunk particleboard that comes in your trunk but otherwise you tape small pieces of cardboard together on the outsides and then you can fit larger ones on the inside. The point it that you could not fit the piece as an entire piece of wood in and out but cardboard you can fold. So you pull it all out, trace it out on wood and then cut it into small enough pieces to get in back into the trunk as wood. Look at mine. It's 3 pieces.

nick95673 08-01-2005 11:49 AM

once i had the large center parts in i just put a piece of paper in the trunk and cut the shape with a razor blabe then used it as a template. if it didnt fit i grabbed the jig saw and cut the wood down a lil more. very simple. just dont fear wood working. but respect the tools

PopcornPlaya 08-01-2005 12:27 PM

trace the stock piece of carpet

Rufus 08-01-2005 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
trace the stock piece of carpet

good idea too

MegaHurtz 08-01-2005 01:44 PM

the stock carpet or the board that comes in your trunk might not be a perfect fit but you can use it as a start to cut your wood out. easiest thing to do I think would be to take the board and having it laying in your trunk, mark the areas where you need to change the shape (add to the template) and then just draw that in when you trace it out on to the sheet to be cut. it might not be perfect the first time, but cut it down a couple times and it should fit really well.

PopcornPlaya 08-01-2005 04:19 PM

my stock carpet was a perfect template. I beveled the top edges so it didn't stick up. I'm sure that not everyone's carpet is the same though, and some won't be a perfect fit.

WhiteRabbit 08-03-2005 11:31 PM

if your stock carpet isnt a fit, the cardboard is a great idea

when I do it, I cut it into strips, then push it up agasint the edge, and staplegun it to a scrap of wood. when I pull it out, its a perfect contour at the height I need of the floor I want to make.

sittinon17s 08-04-2005 06:51 PM

the other day when i posted this i tried just making a basic shape, with basic measurements, but since its slanted and theres that one strip of off white caulk crap that makes it wider than whats beneath it. i dunno, im gonna try it again but ill measure it 10 times before i cut it this round.

and when i cut it in half to fit it in, it fell inwards, i guess i'd have to lay another board across the top and bottom to keep it straight. if all else fails i could always fiberglass it, that shouldnt be too hard, just $$

WhiteRabbit 08-04-2005 07:00 PM

dont cut it in half. that will leave an ugly seam right on the middle for all to see.

by making two seams, one to either side, noone is the wiser. it also simplifies your work. you have one "main" piece that is as wide as the narrowest part of your trunk. the sides will be straight, and the cabin boundary will be straight, you just have to cut an arc in the back where the trim that covers the latch is. Once that is in place, you can use the cardboard trick for each side. each seam will be peftectly straight and ideal for a "carpet hinge" so to speak.

seamless floor. OEM look. perfect.

Rufus 08-04-2005 09:31 PM

check my pics i put 2 seams in