I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

head unit keeps blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
invrtdsa1nt has a little shameless behaviour in the past
head unit keeps blowing fuses

Whenever i connect the constant (yellow) wire on my hu it blows the backup fuse. So I figured that wire was shorting out somewhere so i connected it to the constant that connects to the hazard button, which goes to the hazard/turn signal fuse under the hood, and that gets blown. So that leaves me to think its a problem inside my hu. Has anyone had this type of problem? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2005
Registered!!

pr0vidence is an unknown quantity at this point
Either you got a cooked head unit or your wiring harness has a short somewhere. That would be my best guess. If the HU is brand new, get it replaced.
Old 07-07-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Most mfgrs offer a replacement type warranty, (time length varies) You send yours to them and they send you a "repaired" unit and then repair yours and re-use it for the same purpose.

Do you own multimeter or have any way to check resistance ??
Old 07-07-2005
Registered!!

na i dont have one of those but one can be acquired easily. so should i check the resistance of the ground?
Old 07-07-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
does your stock head unit still work?
Old 07-07-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
test the deck grab a length of wire put a 10 amp fuse in it. now twist the yellow and red wire together with the length of wire that has the fuse. ground the black wire on the deck and put the wire with the fuse in it to the bat. if it blows then you have a bad deck. if it doesnt then haha way harder to fix that.
Old 07-07-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
i dont see why a multimeter would be useful in this case or why resistance would be an issue... problem most likely lies with his wiring or the head unit that he is putting in
Old 07-07-2005
Banned

well all he has to do to check the deck is plug the stock head unit back in, if it works he can deduce that the problem is either the harness or the head unit.... if he is certain that the harness is correct, it will have to be the head unit
Old 07-07-2005

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I was suggesting to check the resistance of the memory lead from the problem deck to ground to see if that is the source of the short.
Old 07-07-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
from my experience. i would try megahurtz's idea first to just plug in oem deck and see if it works. then my experience tells me that most ppl who have problems attempted to hardwire something in the past or didnt feel like buying a 15 dollar metra part and messed somethin up. then 3rd bring it to someone who knows what they are doing or go get a new deck.
Old 07-07-2005
Banned

how would measuring resistance prove that that is the short?
Old 07-07-2005

Short circuit = 0 Ohms to ground from memory lead / Granted this may not work on every single situation but a good simple method for tracing the short for me would be an Ohm meter.

Another good method is to place a small wattage bulb in place of the fuse that is blowing, as long as the short is present bulb will glow at full brightness. Remove the short and bulb will go out complete or dim.
Old 07-07-2005
Registered!!

well, the whole reason i mentioned that the fuse blew when i tried both the back up and hazard light wires is to kinda show that it's probably the hu. if i wire the hu to the hazard lights and the fuse blows, replace the fuse and hazards work fine, obviously its not the wiring harness. But does anyone know if this is fixable? I got my hu off ebay, I dont know where i could take it to get it fixed. and im not exactly the type of guy to pay someone to fix something that cant be fixed by myself.