I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

help with HU problem (alpine 9955 piece of shit)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
help with HU problem (alpine 9955 piece of ****)

I did my install yesterday (alpine 9955, alpine mrd-605, lcd flip out screen, ps2, 12" type-r, 1.2 farad cap). First of all, if I turn the deck's volume up pass 10,you start to hear noise in the speakers. Would that be because of the factory tweeters (maybe their not connected right for aftermarket HU's). Also, That dc/dc converter for the 4v preout, where should I put that? I never saw those boxes on HU's. It said to put it away from other stuff so I tried to keep it away from the other wires. And I bought the wire harness to plug in the factory harness and just matched the colours, but I grounded on the bolt underneat where the HU goes and used the harness for grounding my lcd instead and powered that lcd with a 14gauge directly from the battery. I ran the remote to the back and the power wire on the passenger side and the RCA's on the driverside and I grounded my amp and cap on the bolt that holds the spare tire (is that a good spot?). And the sub doesn't work, and I can't remember if I pluged the RCA's or not, or maybe that HU is just a piece of ****. Because it won't read mp3's or any burn't cd's. Also I broke a piece of plastic next to the power outlet when I was taking apart the console (man those clips can fu***n hold). Anyways, any info on that HU problem would be great.
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
that noise your hearing in the tweeters is probably caused by a bad ground. Is the noise constant or does it change as the engine speed changes? Are you still running factory speakers or did you upgrade them as well?

As for the dc/dc convertor, Try to hide it away from your audio signal wiring as much as possible. Alpine made that a seperate unit to help combat induced noise.

The bolt that holds the spare tire isnt a good ground. You need to pick a spot to ground the amps at, sand it down till you see bare metal then attach it to that point. After you attach your ground, cover it with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

thanks anyways but after 9 hours of work yesterday and it didn't work too good, I got pissed this morning and took everything out and put in my factory HU again. The HU was grounded at a grounding point where something else was grounded near the HU. As for the speakers, they are still factory but I did every connection perfectly with solder and lots of electrical tape. It isn't that bad, my factory deck is a 6disc mp3 in-dash. All I bought the alpine deck was to hook-up my sub on it and get more settings for the sub instead of putting a speaker level converter. Honda should make their civics with a set of RCA's in the trunk and a remote turn on wire and get nice decks with sub out, then we wouldn't have to rip apart the whole car and break stuff (stupid clips). They know civics are the younger generation peoples choice for cars and they know that as soon as we get it, we put in a sound system.

Anyways, anybody want to buy a not even a week old alpine cda-9855 mp3 player with everything including the original box, remote and case and i'll even include the wire harness for our cars 1998-2005 (I think it fits all hondas and acuras of that year, not sure about the si or sir thought), you can bet on it on ebay or make me an offer on this website. It has been tested on my workbench and it sounds perfect, in my car it didn't sound too good, it must have been a bad ground like he said.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Last edited by 05reverb; 06-19-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
shipping to toronto? ill be here till the end of july attending mobile dynamics
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

cheukkin is an unknown quantity at this point
That's y I said don't buy 9835 or 9855, it's ALOT of problems in this new model. The worst thing is nobody believe me even I created a thread focusing on this issue...anyways, go to find some decent pioneer's model instead like me.
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

anywhere in canada, 15$ CAD insured
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

I'm just gonna stay stock HU and get a speaker level converter. but if I ever get another HU, yeah I'll get pioneer for sure, that's what I always had before and never had problems.

Last edited by 05reverb; 06-19-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2005
Registered!!

I bought A pioneer dvd player 5700, so i'm installing that tommorow. I was wondering if that noise in the speakers was because of the factory tweeters, or because of bad ground, because I grounded it directly on the spot where something else is grounded near the HU. If anybody knows for sure it is not the tweeters (maybe the ohms from the front speakers aren't exactly 4 ohms and thats why the HU sounded like sh*t) , let me know, because I don't feel like ripping the doors apart to remove the tweeters.
Old 07-01-2005

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
I haven't heard very many good things about speaker level conversion - good luck. I have the cda-9811 in my '01 and just installed a cda-9847 in our '98 Sedan, both work very well. Sorry you had a bad experience with Alpine....
Old 07-01-2005
Registered!!

I installed a 9847 also in a 2000 sunfire and it worked perfectly too, I guess I just had bad luck with mine, but i'm installing my pioneer dvd flip out monitor tommorow, and if that doesn't work, I'm giving up.

And K-man (I think it was you who wanted my 6 disc in-dash mp3), If you still want it, i'll let you know tomorrow or sunday how my install went, and if it went good, you can buy my factory deck if you still want it, anyways let me know.
Old 07-02-2005
Registered!!

4Saris is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 05reverb
And the sub doesn't work, and I can't remember if I pluged the RCA's or not, or maybe that HU is just a piece of ****. Because it won't read mp3's or any burn't cd's. Also I broke a piece of plastic next to the power outlet when I was taking apart the console (man those clips can fu***n hold).

How can you blame the deck when the install sounds like it was sub par?
It sounds to me like you were just frustrated because it was over your head.
Old 07-04-2005
Registered!!

TeSt DrIvE is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 4Saris
How can you blame the deck when the install sounds like it was sub par?
It sounds to me like you were just frustrated because it was over your head.
Word!!
Old 07-04-2005
Registered!!

It wasn't over my head by the way, I installed a pioneer avh-p5700dvd instead of that alpine deck and it works perfect now, and my cap, and my amp and sub and ps2. That Alpine deck had a defect or something, it didn't read burnt cd's, it made noise in my speakers and the sub didn't sound. The sub was connected and the HU was grounded directly on metal (the exact same place I grounded the pioneer) and the connections were all soldered, so my install wasn't bad.

Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

2k5EP is an unknown quantity at this point
did u make ur box or did u but it from someone like that
Old 07-08-2005

vietstylez will become famous soon enough
dude what kind of ghetto pocket is that? lol
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 05reverb
It wasn't over my head by the way, I installed a pioneer avh-p5700dvd instead of that alpine deck and it works perfect now, and my cap, and my amp and sub and ps2. That Alpine deck had a defect or something, it didn't read burnt cd's, it made noise in my speakers and the sub didn't sound. The sub was connected and the HU was grounded directly on metal (the exact same place I grounded the pioneer) and the connections were all soldered, so my install wasn't bad.
The install still looks unacceptable to me. They sell kits for the dash so your pocket below the deck doesn't look like ***.
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

MassMayhem is an unknown quantity at this point
That is clearly over your head, that dash kit is not even mediocre. I'd love to see the nest of wire behind the HU and rear seat.
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

Also, just because you can make something work, doesn't mean it's right. I remember back in the day people would install their own decks in Fords and put the ground to the black wire. It would work, but that was the dash lights, which would eventually blow the lights. Next time get help or pay for the install.
Old 07-08-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 4Saris
The install still looks unacceptable to me. They sell kits for the dash so your pocket below the deck doesn't look like ***.
You should also realize that his car is a SE model with the 6 disc in-dash MP3 CD changer installed from the factory. It uses a nonstandard dash bezel and the mounting kits would probably look like ***, as well.
Old 07-09-2005
Registered!!

The box is made from alpine especially for that sub. and as for the pocket , there are no faceplates for reverbs yet (where I live anyways), so I had to buy a faceplate for a regular civic instead and chop it up so that I would have a temporary pocket instead of a big hole underneath the HU. If anybody knows where to buy a faceplate for a reverb, please let me know, cause that pocket is ugly. I'm looking for a small switch too to fit in the covers we have near the power outlet, because the switch for my handbrake bypass for the dvd player is just sticking out of the hole, the switch I bought is too big because the clips on the back of that cover gives a really small space to fit a switch.