Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Si: replacing struts at 100k

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beachglass is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Si: replacing struts at 100k

The front struts are leaking. The mechanic recommends replacing the entire assembly ($900) instead of replacing just the struts ($650) because "when we get inside there might be other things wrong at that mileage, and it will be more expensive to replace piece by piece"
Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2003 Si: replacing struts at 100k

What else do they want to replace?

As a 2003, but only 100k on it, you may not need to replace everything under there, depends on the amount of wear.

If I were doing my struts, I would likely do the strut, coil, tie-rod, control arm bushings and ball joint, but that's just me. It depends on whether or not other things are actually in need or repair.

The mechanic is correct that there MAY be more things needed to be replaced but he won't really know until he physically sees it.

If they are referring to having the coils already on the strut, that's probably a good call. I would change the coils with the shock absorber. Again, personal preference though.

First of all, don't put the money up before they do the work and secondly, if you are unsure they are being truthful, make them show you the worn parts so you can make your own decision before they do any replacing.
Old 06-01-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Are the struts leaking? Is the car bouncy? Is he just saying they are bad because of the mileage or did you bring it for a complaint?

I personally would just replace the struts for $650. The assembly will contain a new coil which unless broken is fine and new strut mounts and bearings which he can check.

He can test the ball joints, LCA bushings, end links and tie rods when the car is in the air, not sure what "else" he may find as far as suspension goes.
Old 06-01-2015
Registered!!

Welllll, when I went to pick up my car (just got an estimate, no work done) the mechanic said, "by the way, I noticed that the cover for your air filter is cracked". The part where the (?) air flow tube attaches to the cover is sheared off. You can't see it in this photo because I didn't want to displace it again, but the break is just to the right of the clamp. He said it shouldn't be a problem at all. I don't know when this happened, but I do know that he checked the air filter (even though what I had requested was an estimate on the struts/bushings), so would have had to lift the cover off. Maybe he did it, maybe the last person to check under there did it, but that isn't something I would have seen until after I picked up a new air filter. D'oh. So, is this a problem or simply cosmetic? It looks like a new housing will run around $90 plus shipping.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	air cleaner housing.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	87769  
Old 06-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen several of those nipples snapped out of the breather box over the years.

I think it probably happens when someone gets aggressive and doesn't remove the hose before opening up the box to check the air filter.

Anyone could have done it, so don't immediately blame the one that reported it.
Old 06-01-2015
Registered!!

Do I need to replace the housing? Can I "gorilla-glue" or duct-tape it back in place? Can I leave it as is? (it's butted up pretty tightly)
Old 06-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachglass
Do I need to replace the housing? Can I "gorilla-glue" or duct-tape it back in place? Can I leave it as is? (it's butted up pretty tightly)

At the very least I'd want to seal it up somehow so it can't leak unfiltered air.

Silicone RTV gasket goo is usually the handiest stuff on the workbench LOL

Plasti-weld?