I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

FatMat

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004
Euro-Spec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
FatMat

just bought 36 sq ft of Fat Mat. I got it for 50 + shipping so I think its a pretty good deal. I was just wondering if its enough to do my front doors and my whole trunk or should I get more?? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
I <3 when people ask stuff after they buy things But anyway, it should be enough for one or two layers. If you can, your best bet would be to go ahead and grab 100 sq. ft. You'll be able to get a couple layers, which I think is almost necessary. When you're going at your door, you might as well do a good thick job, so you don't have to mess with opening your door panel again. With 100 sq. ft, you won't have to worry about running out, and when you're done, it should be pretty easy to sell, if you included the tools, I'd buy some.

I just checked their site. The Fatmat Door kit is only 12 sq. feet total and the trunk kit calculates out to 22.5 sq. ft. Adding them up, it's 34.5 sq. ft, which is almost exactly how much you have coming.

It should be enough, but it's more cost effective to buy more and sell it to me.
Old 11-12-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I used 100 sq feet in my trunk alone. Why didn't you buy the 100 sq ft. pack? It's $100 shipped from them. Plus, if you didn't need all of it, or didn't want all of it, you could cut it into pieces(36 in by the width) and sell it and make all of your money back.
Old 11-12-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
And don't worry, the tar smell will only be there for a year. Oh and it also has a tendency of falling off the metal over time (few months). Fatmat sucks
Old 11-12-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
^^ my fatmat hasnt fallen and its been in for over a year, and the tar smell went away after a month.

Last edited by Mystic3030; 11-12-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
wait, so it smells like tar and falls off ?? WTF... all posts I read on this site said that its the same as dynamat. This sucks. Now I'm glad I didn't get 100sq ft
Old 11-12-2004
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
The fatmat in my car has been on for over a year as well (2 layers on trunk lid)...with no problems...and my trunk lid viberates with the best of them.

Now in my wifes car, the ish fell off in two months...but I didn't clean the surface like i was supposed to...so this could be attributed to installation error
Old 11-12-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Gearbox just didnt put it in right. Like I said, mine is fine, none of it is falling and it's been in for over a year. The smell goes away in a month, not a year like Gearbox says. I didnt even clean the metal like it says to, I just put it on. It IS a bit thinner and slightly less sticky that dynamat extreme, but its thicker than the original dynamat and plenty sticky if you get rid of air bubbles and such, just like you have to do with the dynamat.
Old 11-12-2004
~Creatine Serum is good for j00~

b20vtec.com is just really niceb20vtec.com is just really niceb20vtec.com is just really niceb20vtec.com is just really nice
A few weeks ago I put in 160sq feet of eDead... amazing stuff. They have a special 1$ a sq foot, i think they still have it.

www.edesignaudio.com
Old 11-12-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I have had fatmat in my vehicle for going on 2 years now, 200 plus square feet worth (I bought 300 sq feet and have about a roll and 1/3 left to install, which I'm too lazy to do cause it's a pain in the *** to do in car gymnastics to do.) Not the first piece looks any different than the overpriced pieces of dynamat that I have in there, which have been in there the same amount of time. The tar smell went away within 6 hours(I also have a layer of high density carpet padding in the floorboards). I left my windows down until I had to leave. I cleaned it as directed, and then applied it with a heat gun and an industrial wall paper roller (yeah, so I made it in highschool on the CNC machine for my mom cause she used to hang wallpaper on the side, bfd, it's all aluminum.) I have had zero problems with fatmat. It's all in how you install it, and whether you follow the instructions accurately.

Last edited by PopcornPlaya; 11-12-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2004

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
I just put one layer on my doors the other night and one in my trunk lid. its been rainy and cold ever since so i havent been able to do more. so far it works great, im definetly gonna double it up though, its supposed to be 3 times more effective. i also plan on putting a few layers under the carpet. has anyone had any problems with panels fitting correctly after putting it on? i would like to know before going any further. i plan on finishing my trunk tomorrow. its also paintable so you dont need to have that shiny silver on the trunk lid unless you just like the way it looks. ive had dynamat before and so far i like the fatmat just as much if not more.
Old 11-12-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Dynamat = sticks forever and NO smell

Fatmat = tar smell

Now I had the fatmat under hood like it is supposed to be used for, and after a few weeks it just peeled off despite a day of prep work. I used other glue and stuff to hold it on. Finally after a year I just ripped it out with alot of muscle and googone. Still stank like tar as I threw it in the trash.
Old 11-12-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Maybe you got a bad batch or something...mine only smelled for like a month, and it sticks great.
Old 11-12-2004
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i only did 1 layer in the door and 3 in the trunk. mine only smelled for about a week, i put mine in the summer and i always had my windows down so maybe it aired out faster. but it works, over a year and still sticks.
Old 11-13-2004

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
under the hood? when i got my fatmat box the instructions say dont put it under the hood and dont put it anywhere that exceeds 200 degrees. it reflects the heat back on the engine, and we all probably spend money trying to keep the engine warm. they sell a special mat for under the hood.
Old 11-13-2004
Premium Member

That's the one I bought. It's basically a layer of fatmat and then a foam padding on top. Even the foam peeled off the fatmat. It was all a big mess.
Old 11-13-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Originally Posted by gearbox
Dynamat = sticks forever and NO smell

Fatmat = tar smell

Now I had the fatmat under hood like it is supposed to be used for, and after a few weeks it just peeled off despite a day of prep work. I used other glue and stuff to hold it on. Finally after a year I just ripped it out with alot of muscle and googone. Still stank like tar as I threw it in the trash.
You say it has tar smell, yet everyone here that has used it, the tar smell is gone in a considerable amount of time. The dynamat I used actually smelled more tarry (yeah, I made a word up I think) smelled of tar longer than the fatmat. As for under the hood, yeah, why waste my time when I have a cf hood that I'm waiting to install. Maybe on it, who knows? Did you properly clean the surface (wash with a mild warm soap, let dry then use the fat mat wash that they include)? I'm not calling you a liar, cause you may have just gotten a bad batch. I've never, ever had a problem with mine. So long as you properly prep and install, there shouldn't be a problem. I also used my heat gun to evaporate the water that I couldn't see that may be there. Who knows?

Oh, and a word to the wise, when installing, just put it over the factory sound deadener stuff that's like a rubberized undercoating. Don't try yo remove that stuff, it's a bitch to do with a heat gun and chisel. I finally gave up on it after removing about a 1ft by 1ft area in about an hour and a half.
Old 11-14-2004
Abercrombie and Fitch

joescivic02 is on a distinguished road
can somebody tell me how you put dynomat in just the trunk? i only want it in my trunk im not worried about anywhere else, thanks
Old 11-14-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Follow the sound deadening DIY. That and there's another topic in here named "installing dynamat" or something like that. There's explainations in both of them. You might want to search for other, older topics dealing with this. Mat deadener is fairly straight forward to install. Find what you want deadened, cut the mat to fit, clean the area, roll on with wall paper roller, or something you can apply pressure with, wall paper roller seems to be common, and easiest to use/manipulate (with a heat gun optional).