I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Review: Fatmat hoodliner/Fatmat

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Review: Fatmat hoodliner/Fatmat

OK, so I got my Fatmat and my Fatmat aluminum backed hoodliner today....got the drivers side door fatmatted (3 layers...2 on the outer sheetmetal, and 1 on the layer part that touches the interior panel. I also installed the hoodliner.

I noticed a pretty significant difference in road noise on my side of the car with just the door being fatmatted, as well as no more door rattle from the music, and my sideview mirrior has stopped shaking. The Fatmat does seem to be slightly thinner than Dynamat Xtreme, but you can double/tripple layer, and it'll still be cheaper than Dynamat. I paid $290 for the hoodliner and 200 Sq. Feet of Fatmat, shipped to my door. That price would get you about 40 sq. feet of dynamat.

As for the hoodliner, BUY ONE FOR YOUR CAR RIGHT NOW. Cruising at 90 MPH around 4,000/4,500 RPM range the engine noise is almost undectable. I am very very very impressed with this product. Massive reductions in engine noise...simply incredible.

So overall, i'm quite happy with my purchase. Also included in my order were 3 utility knives, 3 rollers, and 3 packets of concentrated degreaser/surface prep stuff at no cost.....My order was shipped on Tuesday, and I received it today (Friday) so there is a quick delivery time, not to mention the customer service from the company is excellent.

OK, that was a bit more long winded than I expected, but oh well.

-Mystic
Old 03-22-2003
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the info I've wanted to decrease the engine noise, how difficult to install was it? Are there any tools that you feel were necessary, rollers, etc? thanks!
Old 03-22-2003
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
yea, i need something to reduce the road noise! i travel at freeway speeds all day and it gets so loud............pisses me off. I will look into fat mat and thanks for the info. BTW- install , could you write up a DIY??
thanks
Old 03-22-2003
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I noticed quite a difference after fatmatting my entire car but the only problem with it is the smell. Its been almost a month now and it still smells like the day i put it in. Anyone having the same problem or any idea of how long the smell lasts?

Old 03-23-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Well, my car is sitting in the garage right now, completely stripped....::sighs:: it'll be done tomorrow....2-3 layers on every surface. Anyway, the install for the hoodliner is pretty simple....the hoodliner comes with a peice of fatmat to cover the hood, and the liner. You just prop the hood up, clean it, cut the fatmat to the correct size, apply it, then wipe that clean, and cut and apply the hoodliner ontop of that. Takes about 35 min to an hour depending on how used to this kinda stuff you are. Included with almost every purchase are a razor, a roller, and a degreaser compound.

As far as a DIY, you really dont need one....just strip everything out of the car (seats, panels, carpet, etc.) vaccum/deagrease it, and put the fatmat down.......
Old 03-23-2003
Registered!!

Dr5D is an unknown quantity at this point
dosent the hood liner hold in heat or somthing? seems like a not so good idea? seems good that it cuts the engine noise tho. i thought that noise mostly came thru the fire wall
Old 03-23-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

There are two hoodliners available....one has an aluminum facing that reflects heat back down into the engine compartment, and one that has a black urethane facing that absorbs the heat and radiates it out the sides of the hood....but honestly dude, you have a civic....it's really not gonna matter.

As far as engine noise coming in through the firewall, yes, thats how some of it gets into the car, but the hoodliner absorbes so much of it, that there isnt much left to go through the firewall. Go pop the hood on a more expensive car sometime and notice the padding and **** under the hood....it's basically the same idea.
Old 03-23-2003
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
I just read that the foam is 3/4" thick, was that difficult at all to install? When the hood was closed, did it interfere with anything in the engine bay? Was there any reason you bought the aluminum backed over the urethane one?
Old 03-24-2003
Registered!!

SOHCScreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
can i just line the underside of my CF hood with Dynamat? will the work to reduce road noise?
Old 03-24-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

I chose aluminum because the guy I spoke to over the phone said thats the most popular one... ::shrugs:: As far as it being difficult to install, not at all. You just peel the paper backing off, and stick it to the hood. There are no issues with it interfering with anything under the hood, the only thing you gotta be careful with is to make sure you dont cover the hole for the hood prop, and the washer nozzles.

You really can not just put dynamat or fatmat on the hood because the heat from the engine will melt the tar. (fatmat is made of tar/asphalt). The hoodliner comes with a big peice of fatmat to put on the hood, then you put the liner over that. T
Old 03-24-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

I chose aluminum because the guy I spoke to over the phone said thats the most popular one... ::shrugs:: As far as it being difficult to install, not at all. You just peel the paper backing off, and stick it to the hood. There are no issues with it interfering with anything under the hood, the only thing you gotta be careful with is to make sure you dont cover the hole for the hood prop, and the washer nozzles.

You really can not just put dynamat or fatmat on the hood because the heat from the engine will melt the tar. (fatmat is made of tar/asphalt). The hoodliner comes with a big peice of fatmat to put on the hood, then you put the liner over that.
Old 03-25-2003
Registered!!

Frank2sy is an unknown quantity at this point
How much for just the hood liner, and where did you got your Fatmats? Was 200 sq. ft. of Fatmat enough to cover your whole car?
Old 03-25-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

I think the hoodliner is $49....+ shipping. Your best bet is to buy everything you want from them at once, and talk them into only charging you once for shipping. 100 sq. feet is enough for your car if you are doing one layer....I did 3 in my doors, 3 on the side panels, 2 on the floor.....and I will be doing my trunk in 3 layers so I needed 200....i'm not even sure if thats gonna be enough.