I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

HElp please Alarm issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adamb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
HElp please Alarm issue.

Hi I just purchased a Viper 671 xv yesterday from my local Best Buy and I have two questions.

1) The guy at Best Buy installed my alarm for me, however, I still have a part with wires left. He told me it wasnt needed because of something about negative connections or wires. Something like that. Well the part that is left is called either a "relay contact 10/20A MAX" or a 451M. What does this do? And should I go back and get it installed?

2) How can I increase the range of my Alarm. I bought a two way alarm for the two way feature, however, I am sitting in my room at the moment. maybe 50 feet or so away, if even, and my two way remote does not page me when the alarm is set off.

If someone could help me I would greatly apreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

-Adam.
Old 08-26-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
1. You probably don't need that. I'm not experienced with alarms but you could need different harnesses for negative or positive door lock outputs. If they didn't install it and say you didn't need it, you probably don't need it.

2. Mount your antenna on the front or back window, that will give it the best range. Also it will work better if the window with the antenna on it is towards you
Old 08-26-2004
Registered!!

Thanks replying I apreciate it.
Yea, I have it on the drivers side front windshield facing toward the ground/hood.
I really need to increase the range it says 1/4 of a mile on websites and what not. That is a tremendous difference.Thanks for your time bro.

If anyone else knows anything about alarms your assistants would be greatly appreciated..
Old 08-26-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Advertised range is almost always a blatant lie
Old 08-27-2004
Registered!!

catalin is an unknown quantity at this point
Adam, you mentioned that the alarm won't page you from 50ft away. But can you disarm/arm it from the same place????
Old 08-27-2004
Registered!!

And the extra harness is most likely a replay pack that's needed for doing door locks other than your Civics negative locks.. I'm assuming it's a Civic of course.
Old 08-27-2004
Registered!!

I just retested it and it works from about 100 feet away. Anything over that it does not work, however, this is in the street. When I try it from my room which is less than 50 feet away the 2way remote does not arm or anything.

Catalin, yea thats what they told me something about a civics negative locks.

I understand that the manafacturers probably werent tell the truth with the 1/4 of a mile still thats 1320. 50 feet or even 100 is a huge difference.
Old 08-27-2004
Registered!!

Ask them to replace the unit and the remote, maybe there's something with it.
Old 08-27-2004
Registered!!

kalipnoi can only hope to improve
1/4 mile is the furthest range, without any interference. walls can get in the way, and also other radio frequency. when i'm at my college, on the fifth floor in wide open space, i can reach my car from HELLA far away. when i set off the alarm i can barely even hear my alarm which is hella loud. just move the antenna to the front of the windshield like previously said, i think it says that it the best position for it. is your car in a garage or where?
Old 08-27-2004
Registered!!

My antennae is on the right upper side of my windshield at the front of my car.

I guess its probably some kinf of defect in my alarm . My car is in my driveway, maybe 50, probably less, feet away.