I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

FatMat Falling Off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
FatMat Falling Off!

Hey everyone, about a week ago I opened my trunk and I discovered that the fatmat that I had lined the trunk lid with was falling off. I had the fatmat under the trunk lid for less than a year and the tar had lost all of its adhesiveness. I had to say that I did notice a small difference in the way my sub sounded when the stuff was adhered to my trunk, so I thought it was worth it at the time. I still have alot more fatmat in my closet. If I re-apply it, is there anyway to make sure it stays on there.
Old 12-16-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
yea alot of people have had trouble with it falling off! maybe like some spray adhesive or something?
Old 12-16-2003
Registered!!

LiceLocket is an unknown quantity at this point
did u make sure it was clean before applying fatmat? if that tar sticks to dust, the adhesion is gone (imagine putting baby powder on it!). try some adhesive spray, or u can do what i do; (re)install it on a hot day, when the tar is soft and reforms easily. i dunno how hot it is in texas, but i installed mine in the summer, and right now in the winter in san francisco, it is hard and doesn't reform shape. also, after u install the fatmat, do liek three extra consecutive days of "maintanence" rolling w/ the roller, i did that too.

also make sure that there are no bubbles, and use the rolling tool (or tennis ball) to ensure that maximal surface area of the fatmat is against metal.

instead of matting over the gaps, cut them, then fold it in, so it is like a grip, then put another layer above the gap (i leave it having the holes to access some screws and wiring, but some say to seal those gaps)

i have like 3+ layers of fatmat on my trunk lid (powerful sub in the trunk), and it hasnt' fallen off or anything.
Old 12-16-2003
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Use a heat gun if the material is similar to standard dynomat. I'm not familar with fatmat brand. I use ice guard and spray on stinger brand stuff in upside down positions
Old 12-16-2003
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by LiceLocket
did u make sure it was clean before applying fatmat? if that tar sticks to dust, the adhesion is gone (imagine putting baby powder on it!). try some adhesive spray, or u can do what i do; (re)install it on a hot day, when the tar is soft and reforms easily. i dunno how hot it is in texas, but i installed mine in the summer, and right now in the winter in san francisco, it is hard and doesn't reform shape. also, after u install the fatmat, do liek three extra consecutive days of "maintanence" rolling w/ the roller, i did that too.

also make sure that there are no bubbles, and use the rolling tool (or tennis ball) to ensure that maximal surface area of the fatmat is against metal.

instead of matting over the gaps, cut them, then fold it in, so it is like a grip, then put another layer above the gap (i leave it having the holes to access some screws and wiring, but some say to seal those gaps)

i have like 3+ layers of fatmat on my trunk lid (powerful sub in the trunk), and it hasnt' fallen off or anything.
off topic..............but what do you have?
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by NeonImpact
licelocket's I.C.E. is:

American Pro 600W by 2 amp
10in diamond audio subwoofer (350W)
stock everything
this is outdated. i have currently:

ppi pcx 1500 amp (1000Wx1)
ppi 440 something amp(100Wx4)
diamond tdx 12 inch sub (1000W rms)
diamond hex components (two pairs)
alpine 9813 deck
two caps

and my trunk lid is fatmatted. how is that off topic?
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

subwoofer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	diamond audio tdx 12.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	16155  
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

setup (flush cover removed)

Name:	full view 1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	16156  
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

fatmat trunk lid

Name:	fat mat.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	16157  
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

flush covered

Name:	covered flush view.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	16158  
Old 12-17-2003
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Fatmat is a joke. I found that out when I got a hoodliner and it fell off in two weeks. Get dynamat extreme. I've had it in the trunk for many monthst and it will NEVER come off. Makes a good bit of difference in sound.
Old 12-17-2003
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
I do have to say ice guard DOSEN'T work well upside down. BUT! for the price and it DOES work well. I use it on all other horizontal and vertical areas. Those who say it smells
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by gearbox
Fatmat is a joke. I found that out when I got a hoodliner and it fell off in two weeks. Get dynamat extreme. I've had it in the trunk for many monthst and it will NEVER come off. Makes a good bit of difference in sound.
that doesn't make sense; how can u compare a hoodliner w/ a deadener u put on teh trunk? they're not the same, and they aren't put under the same conditions
Old 12-17-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Another good way if your applying it in the cold is to use one of those small portable gas torches to heat it after you apply it. Using spray adhesive will make it stick, but will have no deadening properties since it needs to bond directly to metal.
Old 12-17-2003
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Um, the hoodliner is just a layer of fatmat deadener and foam to put on top of that. It says it was made to withstand extreme heat, but that didn't happen. Oh and the smell is still there after 5 months. I'm glad I never put any inside the car.