Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   FatMat Falling Off! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/130115-fatmat-falling-off.html)

ZSKCivic01 12-16-2003 02:51 PM

FatMat Falling Off!

Hey everyone, about a week ago I opened my trunk and I discovered that the fatmat that I had lined the trunk lid with was falling off. I had the fatmat under the trunk lid for less than a year and the tar had lost all of its adhesiveness. I had to say that I did notice a small difference in the way my sub sounded when the stuff was adhered to my trunk, so I thought it was worth it at the time. I still have alot more fatmat in my closet. If I re-apply it, is there anyway to make sure it stays on there.

Mr.Modify 12-16-2003 02:51 PM

yea alot of people have had trouble with it falling off! maybe like some spray adhesive or something?

LiceLocket 12-16-2003 03:15 PM

did u make sure it was clean before applying fatmat? if that tar sticks to dust, the adhesion is gone (imagine putting baby powder on it!). try some adhesive spray, or u can do what i do; (re)install it on a hot day, when the tar is soft and reforms easily. i dunno how hot it is in texas, but i installed mine in the summer, and right now in the winter in san francisco, it is hard and doesn't reform shape. also, after u install the fatmat, do liek three extra consecutive days of "maintanence" rolling w/ the roller, i did that too.

also make sure that there are no bubbles, and use the rolling tool (or tennis ball) to ensure that maximal surface area of the fatmat is against metal.

instead of matting over the gaps, cut them, then fold it in, so it is like a grip, then put another layer above the gap (i leave it having the holes to access some screws and wiring, but some say to seal those gaps)

i have like 3+ layers of fatmat on my trunk lid (powerful sub in the trunk), and it hasnt' fallen off or anything.

tfnaaf 12-16-2003 06:38 PM

Use a heat gun if the material is similar to standard dynomat. I'm not familar with fatmat brand. I use ice guard and spray on stinger brand stuff in upside down positions :)

KeNsHiN 12-16-2003 08:24 PM

Originally posted by LiceLocket
did u make sure it was clean before applying fatmat? if that tar sticks to dust, the adhesion is gone (imagine putting baby powder on it!). try some adhesive spray, or u can do what i do; (re)install it on a hot day, when the tar is soft and reforms easily. i dunno how hot it is in texas, but i installed mine in the summer, and right now in the winter in san francisco, it is hard and doesn't reform shape. also, after u install the fatmat, do liek three extra consecutive days of "maintanence" rolling w/ the roller, i did that too.

also make sure that there are no bubbles, and use the rolling tool (or tennis ball) to ensure that maximal surface area of the fatmat is against metal.

instead of matting over the gaps, cut them, then fold it in, so it is like a grip, then put another layer above the gap (i leave it having the holes to access some screws and wiring, but some say to seal those gaps)

i have like 3+ layers of fatmat on my trunk lid (powerful sub in the trunk), and it hasnt' fallen off or anything.

off topic..............but what do you have?

LiceLocket 12-17-2003 12:44 AM

Originally posted by NeonImpact
licelocket's I.C.E. is:

American Pro 600W by 2 amp
10in diamond audio subwoofer (350W)
stock everything

this is outdated. i have currently:

ppi pcx 1500 amp (1000Wx1)
ppi 440 something amp(100Wx4)
diamond tdx 12 inch sub (1000W rms)
diamond hex components (two pairs)
alpine 9813 deck
two caps

and my trunk lid is fatmatted. how is that off topic?

LiceLocket 12-17-2003 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
subwoofer

LiceLocket 12-17-2003 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
setup (flush cover removed)

LiceLocket 12-17-2003 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
fatmat trunk lid

LiceLocket 12-17-2003 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
flush covered

gearbox 12-17-2003 01:07 AM

Fatmat is a joke. I found that out when I got a hoodliner and it fell off in two weeks. Get dynamat extreme. I've had it in the trunk for many monthst and it will NEVER come off. Makes a good bit of difference in sound.

tfnaaf 12-17-2003 01:55 AM

I do have to say ice guard DOSEN'T work well upside down. BUT! for the price and it DOES work well. I use it on all other horizontal and vertical areas. Those who say it smells :-bs:

LiceLocket 12-17-2003 06:06 AM

Originally posted by gearbox
Fatmat is a joke. I found that out when I got a hoodliner and it fell off in two weeks. Get dynamat extreme. I've had it in the trunk for many monthst and it will NEVER come off. Makes a good bit of difference in sound.
that doesn't make sense; how can u compare a hoodliner w/ a deadener u put on teh trunk? they're not the same, and they aren't put under the same conditions

Mystic3030 12-17-2003 08:52 AM

Another good way if your applying it in the cold is to use one of those small portable gas torches to heat it after you apply it. Using spray adhesive will make it stick, but will have no deadening properties since it needs to bond directly to metal.

gearbox 12-17-2003 11:38 AM

Um, the hoodliner is just a layer of fatmat deadener and foam to put on top of that. It says it was made to withstand extreme heat, but that didn't happen. Oh and the smell is still there after 5 months. I'm glad I never put any inside the car.