I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Tire Blow out - Ripped apart wheel well harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chughes5586 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Tire Blow out - Ripped apart wheel well harness

Hey guys so I'm new here, looking for a little direction and advice. My wife has a 2007 Civic LX. This past weekend she was driving home, and hit a pothole on the passenger side while on the highway, the tire completely blew out at about 60MPH. she pulled over but the damage was already done. The tire was shredded, it pulled the entire wheel well liner out. Also taking out the wiper pump, the ABS wire harness to the passenger side.

I re connected the ABS connector with a GM weather pack, but now there are 7 wires that are ripped apart and i don't know where they go, or what they went to was also removed by the tire. there is a larger blue (14AWG) wire then 6 wires 3 pairs of one white and one red wire (22AWG) even though they all look black, that's the rubber. The car runs, all lights (ABS, Brake, CEL, Airbag) are on, the speedo and the temp gauge don't work, and the fuel gauge slowly went to full... I've attached a picture of the wires.

From all my research I have only been able to see the blue wire and its attached to some connector on the front of the washer bottle but i dont know if its just for an option or what? any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tire Blow out - Ripped apart wheel well harness

Oh damn! Might need to find an identical car and pull back the wheel well liner to see what all the wires go to

Off the top of my head:

Washer pump, 2 wires
ABS speed sensor, 2 wires
Headlights/park/turn, ?? multiple
SRS impact sensor, 2 wires
Foglights? Option connector (would be used for foglights), single wire not connected to anything unless fogs are installed

Ground wires, multiple, eyelet(s) each attached by a bolt (10mm wrench size)

wire colors will take longer to figure out
Old 08-07-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yeouch....
expensive tire, that is...
Old 08-08-2018
Registered!!

chughes5586 is an unknown quantity at this point

ezone: yea I'm going to have a go to a local junk yard, to see if i can figure it out. The washer pump wires are still connected, same with the Headlights, and SRS sensor, and all the grounds are in tact. I did find a pink and a green wire that were ripped out, they hook up to the wheel speed sensor so I re made that connection which is the gm weather pack connector in that picture. The blue wire must be the fog light hook up, so that eliminates one wire. Now just have to figure out the other 6. Thanks for your help!

sdaioji: yea the whole thing is expensive, tow, rim, tire, washer pump, fender liner. just hoping it dosen't have to go to the dealer to figure out the wiring, or itll prolly cost more than the care is worth
Old 08-08-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

here in illinois they will reimburse you for repair costs relating to your pothole damage. you should document as much as possible and file a claim if they do this where you are. it isn't a quick process, but you'll generally get a check out of the blue within the year.
http://www.idot.illinois.gov/travel-...m/claims/index
Old 08-11-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW... ! i dont think i ever seen a tire blow out that bad from hiting a pot-hole
had a tire blow out on a previous car years ago also on the front right side in my case im pretty sure
the cause was a defective tire if theres any kind of defect in a tire like in my case it will show up on a hot road while driving on a highway and blow.