I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Help! Electrical wire cut by accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inigo Montoya is an unknown quantity at this point
Help! Electrical wire cut by accident

When installing a 4 gauge power wire through my firewall, the coat hanger I was using cut one of the wires in the following bundle:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/at...id=34305&stc=1

It is a blue wire with silver markings on it. The car seems to operate fine, except for the fact that the air bag light comes on. Does anyone know what this wire does? I just want to know if it is okay for me to drive around for the time being.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
ouch, is it cut in half? or just stripped a little? Is it cut inside of the grommet, because you probably could pull the entire grommet out and if you have smaller hands butt connect the wire back together. Anything that has to do with the Airbags is designated with a Yellow harness so I doubt that any of those wires deal with the airbags.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Yes we need more info
Old 03-02-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
check your power locks
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

ouch, is it cut in half? or just stripped a little? Is it cut inside of the grommet...

It is cut in half and it is cut inside the grommit. It is really hard to get to also. If I push the grommit through a little bit into the engine bay, the wire gets pulled away from me. I can't seem to pull the grommit towards me. Also, the automatic doors work, and the car drives fine. The only symtom so far seems to be the air bag light. Maybe it has something to do with a sensor in my seat, because it seems that the bundle of wires goes backwards towards my seat.
Old 03-02-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
if it goes through the firewall and tripped the airbag sensor, it very well could be the wire that runs from the crash sensor to the ECU. I will look up the color code for you in a few minutes.
Old 03-02-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Alright, considering there is no silver wire code, I'm going to guess and say that the wire is actually blue and white. That would make sense because if so, it's the wire that runs from the SRS unit to the airbag inflator on the driver's side. Basically, get it fixed before you crash. Also, you never know with air bags, it's not out of the realm of possibilites that some strange event, static or something, exposes that open wire and sets off the bag in yo face!

BTW, I'm never 100% sure about these diagrams, especially when you are unsure about the color.
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

4Saris is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you disconnect your seats to install your power wire? If so, I'm guessing maybe there is nothing wrong with the wire you are speaking of, just that you may need to reset your light. I would still recommend getting that wire resoldered or crimped at the least. Try pulling one side inside and adding a longer wire, then attach it to the one coming from the outside. Do all of this with your negative terminal disconnected though.
Old 03-02-2005

profuse007 is an unknown quantity at this point
youll have to get that fix right away. if its merely hanging by strand, the wire can catch on fire due to exceed currents. try pulling the grommet out and connect it again.
Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

Well I was able to connect the wires with a butt connector, (thanks WildRice ) by pulling on the wires, which gave me another inch to work with. Now I have to go about resetting the airbag light. I have read some posts on how to reset it. Can anyone vouch for any of these methods, where you jump the connection with a paperclip? Or should I just take it to the dealer?
Old 03-03-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
it's $3.51 at http://www.handaaccessories.com/civmaint01.html
part #07PAZ-0010100