Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2014 Civic Tire Pressure Malfunction/ Fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bleter is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 Civic Tire Pressure Malfunction/ Fire

My 2014 Civic had a problem with the tire pressure light and in the end caught fire. I had problems with the tire pressure light the whole time I owned the car. The fire happened while I was driving and I barely got out in time. I will attach pictures. I can't be the only one this has happened to. Honda won't acknowledge this problem. I was alone and was able to jump out of the car, but I worry about others who might not be as lucky.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_151951.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	88346   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_151928.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	88347   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_151956.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	88348   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_152011.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	4.11 MB
ID:	88349   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_152015.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	88350  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151120_155337.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	88351  

Last edited by bleter; 12-07-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2014 Civic Tire Pressure Malfunction/ Fire

sorry for your loss

but why is your hood/fenders bended?

and I don't see any link with TPMS and fire...
Old 12-07-2015
Registered!!

I'm sorry, I didn't fully explain . It was an electrical fire caused by a malfunction with the TPMS light. My hood is bent from the fire, I'm not sure why. I was driving and flames shot out of the dash board right below the radio. I pulled over and slammed it into park and jumped out About 20 seconds later a fire ball ripped through the car. There were explosions like gunshots, I was told those were the airbags, Then the windows blew out. And that is how it looked at the end. I took it to the dealership several times and the last time was about two weeks before the accident. They wrote "TPMS light needs to be turned off. It is crazy!" on the invoice. I'll attach a picture. They said it was annoying and nothing more and they were checking for a computer fix, then the accident happened and they are denying all responsibility. I can't add it to this, will edit original post.
Old 12-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Holy cow. Did the fire department pry the hood open to chop off the battery cables?

Is Honda (corporate) going to get involved in the fire investigation?

------

Also...
Some of your other posts have now been disabled. You don't need to insert your story into other threads where it is not relevant.

Last edited by ezone; 12-07-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2015
Registered!!

They did reset the light. Every time I took it back, which was a lot. Then it would come back on. Honda Corp put it off on the dealership. My insurance company did an investigation and said it was a product malfunction and to report it to the NHTSA. I asked them to crack open the trunk because my laptop was in there, but not sure what happened in front, I was hysterical. What could cause this? You seem like you know a lot more than me about cars, which isn't very much.
Old 12-07-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested in the results of a real fire investigation.

Yes I'm familiar with how the systems in the car work, but I probably should stay out of it until an investigation has been completed if the NHTSA wants to investigate it.

There are many reasons the tire light could have come on. I would need a lot more info about the light situation in order to make some halfway decent guesses at why it would come on, but it sure seems irrelevant now.
Old 12-07-2015

Did you have a stereo in this car? Subs and amplifier?
Anything aftermarket, like a remote start or anything?
Old 12-07-2015
Registered!!

I will file with them tomorrow. I wasn't aware that they would do an investigation. My insurance company's may have been half-assed.
Old 12-07-2015
Registered!!

Nothing aftermarket, I bought it new a year before as was.
Old 12-07-2015

Originally Posted by bleter
I will file with them tomorrow. I wasn't aware that they would do an investigation. My insurance company's may have been half-assed.
IDK what the NHTSA will or won't do, I've never dealt with that before.

If your insurance company is paying on the claim as a total loss, it will be their car.
You're done.
Go buy another car.
Old 12-08-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Not seen anything like that from a Japanese car in 26+ years.

Certainly in the cabin...... but wow.
Old 12-08-2015
Registered!!

It's not my car anymore as pointed out, but this should not happen to anyone else. What if my nephews had been strapped in the back? Some friends sent me articles:http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/16/auto...dyssey-recall/
and http://www.torquenews.com/106/honda-...upe-fire-risks

I feel like these pictures need to be seen before this happens to someone else. I can't even imagine losing my nephews in that way. It's wrong.
Old 12-08-2015

Some friends sent me articles
Those articles have nothing to do with the car in question.
You can find many recalls from many manufacturers that are worded as a potential fire hazard (especially Ford LOL)
What if my nephews had been strapped in the back?
I can't even imagine losing my nephews in that way.
You can ask "What if?" til the end of time.
It's over now and they were not in the car.

I feel like these pictures need to be seen before this happens to someone else.
What's become of the call to the NHTSA?
Old 12-08-2015
Registered!!

The complaint is filed with the NHTSA. They send me a copy of the complaint within 8 weeks. I gave them the reference number for the other complaint and they will investigate. I'm not sure how, but not with my car.
Old 12-08-2015

Originally Posted by bleter
The complaint is filed with the NHTSA. They send me a copy of the complaint within 8 weeks. I gave them the reference number for the other complaint and they will investigate. I'm not sure how, but not with my car.
This is interesting. Please update the thread if you get more info.
Old 12-08-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

We appreciate your concern for other owners, but at this point, it's hard to tell if this is actually a more common issues to other cars.

Therefore, we choose to contain this information to this thread until further information comes from your submittal of an potential design issue.

But at the moment, we really are unsure of the causes.

Sorry for holding your warning, but it will be released if the claim is deemed valid.for the moment the forums does not have sufficient information to evaluate the link between the toms light and the fire hazard.

pS the forums are not directly or indirectly linked to Honda. If we are unsure, we will hold judgement until further investigation.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

We do appreciate your update for the same reasons posted above