Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Civic transmission problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike_47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic transmission problem.

I got a odd problem i cant figure out.

So i got a 04 honda civic DX canadian model 1.7l sohc non vtec automatic.

so when i put it in drive it will drive like 15 feet then the engine just revs.
like its in neutral. but if i turn the engine off and hole way and restate it
it will work for about 15 more feet.

i tried changing the ATF and i changed it a few times. can't really drive long enough to really let it cycle.

and ive check the clutch pressure control solenoid.

any ideas would be great.

Old 07-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic transmission problem.

Is there a ton of miles on the car?

Does it make an unusual whine noise at the same time it quits moving?
If you checked line pressure I suspect it would be well under spec once it quits moving.
I'd wild guess the internal strainer is full of clutch material debris and starving the pump.
Old 07-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

ATF cycles when engine is running regardless if you drive or not.
Originally Posted by Mike_47
I got a odd problem i cant figure out.

So i got a 04 honda civic DX canadian model 1.7l sohc non vtec automatic.

so when i put it in drive it will drive like 15 feet then the engine just revs.
like its in neutral. but if i turn the engine off and hole way and restate it
it will work for about 15 more feet.

i tried changing the ATF and i changed it a few times. can't really drive long enough to really let it cycle.

and ive check the clutch pressure control solenoid.

any ideas would be great.

Old 07-08-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Ezone, sure there has to be a way (how be it jack leg) to force fluid the opposite way and wash the solenoid screens and main screens out and back into the sump. There while you are doing it, you could leave the drain plug out. What do you think. Know you would need to catch it before the clutches burn up and such. Surely there is a way. Lot of kids and students on minimum wage jobs don't have the bucks like you and I to pop 25K down for a new car or even 4k for a new transmission. Let's save the world on this. Lets come up with a $10 stint for a Civic.
Old 07-08-2015
Registered!!

I am thinking about the same.. My plan is break cleaner fluid in large syringe pushed in via exit (front)line after ATF was drained and the plug open.Let's see if any debre will come out.
Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Ezone, sure there has to be a way (how be it jack leg) to force fluid the opposite way and wash the solenoid screens and main screens out and back into the sump. There while you are doing it, you could leave the drain plug out. What do you think. Know you would need to catch it before the clutches burn up and such. Surely there is a way. Lot of kids and students on minimum wage jobs don't have the bucks like you and I to pop 25K down for a new car or even 4k for a new transmission. Let's save the world on this. Lets come up with a $10 stint for a Civic.
Old 07-08-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by emich
I am thinking about the same.. My plan is break cleaner fluid in large syringe pushed in via exit (front)line after ATF was drained and the plug open.Let's see if any debre will come out.
Before you jump, lets think this thru. We need reverse flush..not 'cleaner' and somewhere for it to go out...First, manual unbolt solenoids and look at screens. We can get at them. Just not main screen for the pump. That is what we need to flush.
Old 07-08-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Ezone, sure there has to be a way (how be it jack leg)

When I said 'internal strainer' in my first reply, I meant the main big filter that is inside the trans.

A short while ago there was a poster wanting to bore a hole through the case to attempt to 'wash' the filter without taking the trans apart. I didn't think it was a great idea myself.
Old 07-08-2015
Registered!!

I was talking about the internal strainer . Break cleaner is appropriate fluid and I hope will do the job. Compressed air is not dense enough.I'll let you know if I decide to do it.
Originally Posted by ezone
When I said 'internal strainer' in my first reply, I meant the main big filter that is inside the trans.

A short while ago there was a poster wanting to bore a hole through the case to attempt to 'wash' the filter without taking the trans apart. I didn't think it was a great idea myself.