Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

08 Civic LX - 65K - Serpentine belt/Tensioner squeak noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itsfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Civic LX - 65K - Serpentine belt/Tensioner squeak noise

Hi Guys,

08 Civic lx - 65K.

I am noticing either one of the following issues only during the cold temp and only during morning/ evening after 8-9 hrs parking

1) Mild roller noise - Noticeable/intensity increases very clearly while applying acceleration - Goes away after 2 mins of driving - once again only during cold temp especially started noticing this only this winter
2) When I start the car after a long parking / especially during cold temp and rainy day - as soon as I start the car I can hear the drive belt squeak noise which goes away within 5 secs

I got a quote from two places to replace the serpentine belt and belt tensioner(set). Honda dealer - $360 Napa - $300. Both dealer and napa advised me that since I am only noticing this only during cold temp asked me to wait until the sound becomes very intense - they suggested this might be a winter/cold temp related thing and will go away.

Based on the above desc please suggest me what to do? Do I need to replace this immediately or how serious is this?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 08 Civic LX - 65K - Serpentine belt/Tensioner squeak noise

I might check the drive belt wear indicator on the tensioner/bracket to see if the belt has stretched out an excessive amount..

I might remove the drive belt and spin the idlers. Spin all the pulleys in there.
Got any bearing noise or roughness?
Inspect the belt condition, glazed or cracking?

I might work the tensioner through its adjustment range (compress the tensioner) to check for smooth movement.

I often hear a real brief (1/2 second) belt squeak in those cars on rainy day startups, I think some rainwater must reach the belt area from splash through the gap between the hood and fender. My 12 does it on rainy days.

HTH