Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coldfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting

2006 Civic, battery replaced in Sept 2012 with Honda brand.

Car has been starting fine. Ran a few errands and came home. Got back in car and it would not even crank or make any attempt at cranking. Battery voltage 12.6xx. Kept meter on it and still stayed at 12.6 when attempting to start.

All lights and dash panel work and appear normal.
Battery terminals looked clean but I pulled them and cleaned them just in case.
I checked the 15 amp fuses under the hood and the large 70-100 amp fuses look good thru the little windows.

The rear brake pedal seems like it is more rigid but it could be my imagination. I tried wiggling the shifter, put in neutral, etc, but no change in starting.

Anyone have any ideas?

I may have to have the car towed to the dealer Tuesday so if anyone has any last minute ideas I'm all ears. I'll check back a few times over the next 3 hrs or so.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Starting

Manual or automatic trans?
Do you have, and can you operate a test light?
You want to try to make it crank so you can drive it to the shop if it runs?

The rear brake pedal
The what?
Old 12-31-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
You want to try to make it crank so you can drive it to the shop if it runs?
Sorry if this is too late to help...
Got a pic at work today.

Look just behind the brake fluid reservoir.

Name:  Cr824SO.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  771.6 KB

(I'm too lazy to resize pics.)

Find the single wire that I'm pointing to, unplug it.
The half you pulled toward you leads to the starter.

Put the car in Park or Neutral, pull up the handbrake!

Use a jumper wire to briefly connect battery positive to that wire, the starter should crank the engine IF the starter is still good and battery and cables, etc., are ok..

If that makes it crank, the problem should be somewhere inside the car (ignition switch, clutch switch, relays, etc., varies on each car). If it doesn't crank, the problem should be in the engine compartment (battery cables, starter, wiring).
Old 12-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coldfinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Update - the starter was bad. This is what the dealer and an independent shop diagnosed over the phone, and a 2nd independent shop diagnosed and is fixing and the car which should be ready Thursday.

Putting in a remanufactured oem starter with 2 year warranty. I was told it is a big job. $500-550. Wow!

I didn't get a chance to try the test ezone stated below.
Old 12-31-2013

I didn't get a chance to try the test ezone stated below.
If the starter is bad, my jumper wire check would have done nothing. You'd still be having it towed in.

Update - the starter was bad.
Glad you got it figured out

diagnosed over the phone
Was a good guess, had a 50% chance of being right.