Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2009 Civic hissing/grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chumpy2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2009 Civic hissing/grinding noise

I have a 2009 Civic LX Sedan which has been flawless since new, dealer maintained whenever the appropriate maintenance minder code appears.

A few days ago, on the way home from work at around 60mph on the expressway I heard what can only be described as a hissing/grinding noise from the front left wheel. Initially I thought it might be the AC as the noise went away after I switched it off, but a minute or two later the noise came back, with the AC still off.

A few minutes later, the noise came back again, but stopped when I pressed the brake pedal. After that I didn't hear it again until today. Same noise and it stops whenever I press the brake pedal. The noise pitch doesn't seem to change with the speed of the engine or car either. I also noticed that when I reverse out of the garage/parking space/etc there is a high pitched squeal from the same wheel. It's too late to call the dealer now (after 5pm on a saturday) but does this sound like a serious brake problem? Anyone else had the same thing?

At the last service in August the brakes were said to be in good condition with plenty of pad left. Car has about 56,000 miles on it and original brake pads and my commute and driving style has not changed since I bought the car.

I'll be calling the dealer on Monday morning, should I keep it parked until then?
Old 10-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Civic hissing/grinding noise

Unless you picked up a piece of gravel in a brake, it sounds like you described the pad wear indicator "squealer".
It sounds like it needs a set of front brakes NOW.

(The rears on an LX should be drum brakes and last dang near forever.)

At the last service in August the brakes were said to be in good condition with plenty of pad left
Irrelevant now.
Unless I hear better information about it, I'll assume that someone wasn't being observant at that time, especially if this was at a dealership and was done with one of the "free courtesy inspections" we are supposed to do now.

Maybe someone doesn't have enough experience yet to know what's good or bad. Most shops out there hire low wage flunkies and rookies to do the grunt work.

If one was only looking at the outboard pad, the one that is most easily visible, they are missing a lot of needed services.

They might have been "adequate" in August too. I have no way of knowing for certain from where I sit. I have no idea how you drive.
But I bet they needed done in August, whomever "inspected" them didn't do you any favors by saying they were "good".
EDIT: Maybe the mouthpiece at the service desk just rattled it off without knowing. It happens.

The inboard pads need inspected too, to do a proper inspection. Those pads have the "squealer" on them.

Do I need to go on about this?

At any rate, get it in and (probably) do the front brake job ASAP. You don't have much time/miles left before they go metal to metal.
Monday A.M. make that phone call.

Also, since you are in the rust belt (me too!)
Something *I* do with almost every brake job: The caliper slide pins and bracket and shims should be checked, cleaned of rust, and lubed during the brake service. Bound or stuck pins or pads cause very uneven and accelerated wear, along with reduced braking performance.
Good luck getting anyone that knows to do that. By the time it becomes an issue it will be 3 years down the road for you.
Old 10-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chumpy2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: 2009 Civic hissing/grinding noise

Thanks ezone. Time for new brakes.