Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

99 civic coupe no brake lights

Old 04-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stevenw is an unknown quantity at this point
99 civic coupe no brake lights

hello I’ve read a few threads but can’t seem to get my brake lights fixed. The fuse under the hood is good. The brake light switch is good I just replaced it. It seems I get power up until a plug on the driver side in the backseat behind the panel. So I jumped the wired around it with no results. As soon as I connect the wires I lose all power. But everything else works taillights, blinkers, hazards. I’m no electrician but does the wire losing power mean it’s broken somewhere or shorting out? I’m not sure what to do. thanks for any responses
Old 04-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 99 civic coupe no brake lights

Losing power generally indicates a poor connection/high resistance. Somewhere.

Connect everything, all wiring

Start at brake light switch, with pedal depressed, you should see 12v on both sides of switch.

Follow harness to next connector.....Backprobe rearward half of connector. If you have 12v then continue to next connector in the circuit....until you find where power is lost.

BUT if you checked the rearward half of the connector and found 12v missing, check same wire on the front half. If you have 12v on one side but not the other, open the plug and check why power was lost.

(you can actually start this checking at any connector along the circuit that is convenient and easily accessible---in the interest of speed and time---and decide which direction to go from that point, that's called splitting the circuit)

Remember, everything must be connected and powered up in order to make it act up and find a problem.

Brake light circuit includes:
There's a 20 cavity splice pack near the HVAC fan by the kick panel..
Another 20 cavity harness junction behind the drivers kick panel
Yet another 20 junction .....looks like in the area of the rear upper seatback side bolster behind the trim panel (near the door jamb switch)

Then to a 5 way splice, and then to the actual lights
Old 04-07-2018
Registered!!

I ran new wire from right before the wiring harness tested it and have power. As soon as I connect to any of the brake lights I lose power. I connected it to all the brakes still no power
Old 04-07-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

ALL wiring connected:
at brake light switch, with pedal depressed, you should measure 12v on both sides of switch.
Do you have that?
Old 04-07-2018
Registered!!

I can only test one side it has 12v.
Old 04-07-2018
Registered!!

I don’t understand how I can plug a 12v wire straight into the brake light and it doesn’t work. It makes the colts disappear
Old 04-07-2018

Originally Posted by Stevenw
I can only test one side it has 12v.
WHY can't you test more than one?
There's either 2 wires on the brake switch---- or 4 wires if it has cruise.

White/green and green/white are for the brake lights. From the switch, green/white goes all the way to the brake lights
Old 04-08-2018
Registered!!

Ok both have 12v sorry I didn’t understand