Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

brake lights out but third brake light works, cruise is out

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ntgarwood is an unknown quantity at this point
brake lights out but third brake light works, cruise is out

I've seen this similar problem posted in the past but with no resolution. Hopefully someone can help! I have a 2002 civic ex coupe. I recently found out that my rear marker brake lights do not work, but the third brake light in the spoiler (factory) does work. My cruise control went out a few months ago and im guessing the problem is related. The cruise on/off button will light up green but when pushing the steering wheel button to set the cruise nothing happens and no "cruise" light. With the brakes, the bulbs are fine because they are the same as my turn signal and hazards which work. I have used a multimeter at the rear wiring harness and there is power to the rear brake lights. The fuse under hood for the horn and brakes is good and horn works. I replaced the brake pedal switch and it works fine. Does anyone have ideas of where to check next or what might be causing this problem? Any help or ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: brake lights out but third brake light works, cruise is out

Originally Posted by ntgarwood
the bulbs are fine because they are the same as my turn signal and hazards
Absolutely wrong.
Old 06-19-2012
Registered!!

Oops, thanks. Im not out at my car and was just thinking through it. Any ideas??
Old 06-19-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if the third brake light works, the problem is with the wiring to the tail lamp bulbs. either the bulbs are burnt out, or the wiring is messed. all three brake lights lead back to the same wire eventually.
Old 06-19-2012
Registered!!

Thanks! Do you happen to know where the split happens? Im guessing its somewhere behind the dash.
Old 06-19-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it actually might be in the trunk somewhere. start tracing wires back from the 3rd lamp and the tail brakes til you find where they meet. chances are the short will be somewhere inbetween. if you get to the brake pedal switch (under the pedal) you prolly went too far. i think by then they have to meet.
Old 06-19-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Threads with no resolves posted you say...? Hmm that's new. They are all driving around with messed up brake lights.

You have an open, either both brake filaments are open ( I would check bulbs again) The 2 brake bulbs are dual filament type, or you have an open between the junction splice and the 2 left/right branches.

Last edited by CraigW; 06-19-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm betting my nickel on 2 light bulbs bad.
Old 06-19-2012
Registered!!

This is a bit embarrassing that the solution was so obvious, but you guys are right. I put the multimeter in both sockets and they were getting power, so I replaced BOTH bulbs and it worked and the cruise control worked again. When I had checked the lights before, I had only replaced one of the bulbs to check and not both of them. But im glad its fixed now. Thanks alot guys. And I actually have seen this question posted in a few different forums without a solution. They were probably all like me and didn't want to fess up to what the answer was after they found it!!
Old 06-19-2012

So who is paying out on my nickel bet?
Old 06-19-2012
Premium Member

haha i would rather have it be burnt bulbs
Old 06-19-2012

I'd rather it be wiring.
I LOVE wiring.
Old 06-20-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd rather it be wiring.
I LOVE wiring.
Me too, been messing with electrical and electronics for 35 years now.