Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

168 vs 194 lights

Old 11-05-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wawacito is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello everybody,

I'm new here at 2k1 and this is my first post. Just picked up a new 2002 ex sedan last week. A friend recommended this sight to me and i must say i'm very impressed. Lots of info and really cool.

Ok I did a search for 168 and 194 and got nothing so please don't kill me if you guys already covered this topic.

I went to the Sylvania website to look for bulb numbers (good place to check by the way) and got 168 bulbs for license plate lights, trunk light, and ex maplights. BUT your site here lists 194 bulbs. So i looked those up and found that the two bulbs are same size, but slightly different wattage and current. Will it make a huge difference if i get 168s or 194s? I just ordered a 10 pack of blue 168's - just hoping i didn't order the wrong ones.

Just some details on my car - 4 door tafetta white ex. Shaved the emblems off so only the H logo is there. i've ordered piaa xtreme whites for the front parking lights and nokya arctic whites for headlamps. gonna change my license plate lights to blue and trunk light too. Not the reading or dome lamps though cuz i might actually need to see. I'm too chicken to change the turning lamps cuz i dont wanna get 'cop'ed. Spoiler and moonroof deflector coming soon. I was gonna paint my wheel covers to white to match the body but people are telling me not to. Any opinions on that one?

OK i covered too many topics here. Moderators, put me where you will.
Old 11-05-2001
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm on my 3rd set of rear plate bulbs right now...and they are burnt out. They used to be blue...now they are purple/pink.... Can't remember the light size...but I'll post it when I get home and check out the box.
Old 11-05-2001
Registered!!

Elusiv1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha...you answered all my questions!! I didnt know the bulb number for the dome lights and everything. But i do know that the BUlb 194 that you are talking about are for the map lights that are next to the dome light in the front on a EX.
Old 11-05-2001
Registered!!

0100010 is an unknown quantity at this point
First off, welcome to the site.

Second, I like your choice on the Civic, thats what I have, a White 2K1 Sedan.

Third, as far as your front turn signals, what state are you in? If you're in Texas, you can have white turn signals up front.

Not sure about the 168/194 differences.

Don't paint your stock wheel covers. If you want white, get some white rims, but don't paint your wheel covers.
Old 11-05-2001
Registered!!

SilverCivic2K1 is an unknown quantity at this point
welcome to the site!
I use 194 for the dome, front parking lights, reverse lights, trunk lights, and license plate lights. If u get the cheap bulbs from autozone, they will fade from blue to green, or red to pink. And DO NOT paint ur hubs!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-05-2001
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
where did you get ur bulbs from?
Old 11-05-2001
Registered!!

DarkCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome and congrats on your ride. I'm not sure about the 194/ 168 thing either, must be just watt/ brightness. Painting hub caps white= ghetto. They will eventually chip and look worse. I think that white Civic's look so phat with white rims.
Old 11-05-2001
Registered!!

bluecoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
i have piaa xwhite 168s on my plate, i love em. i've had em in for at least a few months and they haven't burnt out yet. <<knock on wood>> i'm going to be getting 3 more for my front dome. 168 and 194 are the same style bulb, if there is anything at all different it would just be the the wattage.
Old 11-05-2001
Registered!!

Hondasport01 is an unknown quantity at this point
They are both the same style but, the 168 is a 3watt bulb and the 194 is a 5 watt bulb[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-05-2001
Registered!!

wawacito is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks everybody. Now im definitely not painting my hub caps. Eventually when i scroung up enough money i will get some white rims. Yes they look great on white cars. But I was hoping to go the cheapo way out by just simulating white rims with painted hubs. Oh well. Nothing is as good as the real thing.

Hey Phillipe01 here's the info on my lights:
10 pak of blue 168 bulbs - $7.99 (after reading SilverCivic2K1's post im afraid these cheapos will fade) was purchased from directpart.com

2 pak of pia xtreme white 168 bulbs - $13.95 from autobarn.com (they have full stock of PIAA 168 bulbs - including superwhite, plasma blue, super plasma, etc...)

2 pak of nokya arctic white h4 bulbs - $18.95 from importpartsplus.com

spoiler and moon roof deflector - local performance store

By the way - i tried 168 LED blue bulbs out at the performance store - they suck - very light tint of blue - more white than blue. Almost a cyan rather than a real blue blue. Not that bright either. Not the effect I'm going for with my license plates.