Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

02 Civic EX no brake lights, dash lights, gear shift lights.

Old 07-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sulfonate is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic EX no brake lights, dash lights, gear shift lights.

I see that a thread was just recently posted on this same subject but I feel like my situation differs.

Received car from somebody and upon diagnosing everything, I noticed there was no tail lights when brake is pressed, no running lights, couldn't shift car out of park, no dash lights, no gear shift lights, and no horn.

So, I replaced the brake switch. Nothing changed. I ran my OBDII scanner and had one single fault, in the ELD. I grabbed a new one and replaced it. I could now shift out of park, my horn worked again, and my running lights came back.

I am still without tail lights, dash lights, or gear shift lights. Everything else works perfectly fine. Whoever owned this car prior to the person I got it from must have been a 16 year old kid that didn't know the slightest thing about car electrical. Wiring harness cut off that I had to replace, very shotty job on a remote start module, speakers screwed into the doors, etc.

I understand that from what I just described it could be a problem with the fact that with this terrible installation job, the illumination wire could have shorted out something. Every light on the dash cluster besides the bulbs that illuminate the cluster lights up though. Also the fact that I don't have any gear shift lights, or brake lights when pressed. Could a short in the dash cluster from the radio install affect all those things?

I also took a test light to the under hood fuse box and tested for current in each fuse. Fuses 5, 7, and 8 are not receiving any power. Could this help figure out what exactly is causing this if these fuses simply aren't having any power run through them?
Old 07-26-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,121 Likes on 936 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 02 Civic EX no brake lights, dash lights, gear shift lights.

Start looking for hacked up wiring under the dash and under the hood, check all of your fuses
Old 07-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sulfonate is an unknown quantity at this point

I've checked literally everything that I can see with my own eyes. Every single fuse is good, except for the fact that I mentioned fuses 5, 7 and 8 are not receiving any power.

I feel this is a deeper problem then just potential wire that could be shorted, or fuses.
Old 07-27-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,121 Likes on 936 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Could be something wrong in the fuse box, have you pulled those fuses out to see how the contacts look in the box?
It isnt that hard to remove the fuse box so you can look at the underside

Search this Thread