Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Limp mode 04 civic LX

Old 07-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allan82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Limp mode 04 civic LX

Hi guys new here and need sum serious help!!

Ok so I hope I'm posting in the right spot! A couple months back I floored it getting on the freeway and when I hit 5k rpm I lost power in the engine. My ac stop blowing cold and my gauges for temp and rpms stop working and I can only go from 1 gear to another. Don't know what gears I'm able to go from. I'm guessing 2nd to 4th or 3rd. The car will mak out at 50mph. So after digging around and paying $200 in diagnoses I was told my computer bad. So I pull one from a junk yard got it flashed everything works no problems for a few weeks. Then last week I did the same thing and I lost power and same problems and same running condition. Now though the car when started, it is going in and out of limp mode until it goes into to limp mode. I can hear clicking noise as I can see the check engine light go on and off. With it going in n out of limp mode you can here the car trying to idle.
Old 07-27-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Limp mode 04 civic LX

Get the codes read, report back to us.

Flashinh CEL means you have a catalyst-damaging misfire condition. That said, you'll have one or more of the following codes:
P0300 - multiple cylinder misfire
P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire
P0302 - cylinder 2 misfire
P0303 - cylinder 3 misfire
P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire

Those alone don't force the ecu into limp mode. This means you have another code causing the limp mode situation
Old 07-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The fried PCM is just a symptom.

Poor alternator grounding causes fried PCM.
The alternator mounting bolts were probably left loose by the last person who forgot to tighten them (timing belt job, alt replacement, etc.).

That's the usual cause of a fried PCM.
Fix it now, maybe you can save this PCM before it's too late.

Other possible cause, bad grounding of the alternator due to corrosion or loose block bracket, or bad ground (cable(s)) for the engine and trans.
Old 07-29-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Get the codes read, report back to us.

Flashinh CEL means you have a catalyst-damaging misfire condition. That said, you'll have one or more of the following codes:
P0300 - multiple cylinder misfire
P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire
P0302 - cylinder 2 misfire
P0303 - cylinder 3 misfire
P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire

Those alone don't force the ecu into limp mode. This means you have another code causing the limp mode situation
well I don't have a scanner and from what advance auto parts and autozone store scanners can't read any codes.

And all the grounds were supposedly check and are good.
Old 07-29-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allan82
And all the grounds were supposedly check and are good.
Read my post again. You missed the important part.

and from what advance auto parts and autozone store scanners can't read any codes
If the PCM is actually ruined, it will not communicate AT ALL. No data whatsoever.
Old 07-29-2017
Registered!!

Ezone
your talking about the cables being bad!! Corrottied wires and what not!??
Old 07-29-2017

Originally Posted by Allan82
Ezone
your talking about the cables being bad!! Corrottied wires and what not!??
Nope.
Comprehension fail.
*sigh*

Let me try this again:

Originally Posted by ezone
The alternator mounting bolts were probably left loose
Old 07-30-2017
Registered!!

So I forgot to mention that when I first had the problem and the ecm wasn't able to be scanned
I took to Honda they found a bolt loosen from the alternator and they tighten so I don't wanna believe that could be causing an issue.
Old 07-31-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

and that bolt being loose is what fried the computer
Old 07-31-2017

OP did you double check the tightening torque on all of the alternator mounting hardware yourself?

Search this Thread