Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

how much faster do front tires wear out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
how much faster do front tires wear out?

im trying to figure out when to rotate my tires. when my front tires were new, my rears had 8k on them already. I know the fronts will wear faster, but the rears already have a big head start. Should I wait 20k miles to rotate instead of the usual 10k i normally do? to give the new fronts a chance to wear down?
Old 01-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light
Re: how much faster do front tires wear out?

I would just check them with a penny once a month or so. Then once they are equal, rotate em. Then just do the normal schuedule. That is what I was told.
Old 01-23-2009
Registered!!

RyuNyte has a spectacular aura aboutRyuNyte has a spectacular aura about

I work at discount tire and this question comes up alot because alot of people buy just 2 tires instead of 4 new ones, just rotate the tires how you normally would. even though you drove 8k on your old tires, it should be fine to rotate it because the wear on them shouldnt be that much, unless you drive really aggressive which i doubt you do. I hope that answered your question.
Old 01-23-2009
Registered!!

RyuNyte has a spectacular aura aboutRyuNyte has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BJanzen
I would just check them with a penny once a month or so. Then once they are equal, rotate em. Then just do the normal schuedule. That is what I was told.
That also sounds like a good idea too, however like how i said before, 8k miles shouldnt be much wear. I've had my tires for about 10k now and it not that much different from when i first got them.
Old 01-23-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys
Old 01-23-2009
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Are they directional?

If not you can rotate them from side to side at 10k then at 20k from front to rear.
After that just start your normal rotation....
Old 01-23-2009
Premium Member

no. i also heard that some people dont rotate tires at all, cause if you dont then yeah the front ones wear out faster but the rears last alot longer than if you rotated them, so you could just buy a new set of front tires when they are bad, and the rears still have 1/2 of their life. and technically it would be cheaper.
Old 01-23-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Good Point ^^^
Old 01-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

i dont rotate mine. im a baller like that
Old 02-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

lol ^^
Old 03-11-2009
Registered!!

kkjae187 is an unknown quantity at this point

My car been through 33k already and I had it since April 08. I have not had my tires rotated and when I asked my friend if it should be rotated, he said I need a replacement. I noticed my rear is far worse than my front. Shouldn't the michelin pilot last at least 60K ?
Old 03-11-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^^ treated like that no way.

My interval for the past quite a few year has been 5000 miles.

And, I switch sides and rotation each time ( never stays on the same side or same direction over 5k)

Once the tires are cupped or scalloped they will never recover.