Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires)
-   -   how much faster do front tires wear out? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires/314296-how-much-faster-do-front-tires-wear-out.html)

gearbox 01-23-2009 08:02 PM

how much faster do front tires wear out?

im trying to figure out when to rotate my tires. when my front tires were new, my rears had 8k on them already. I know the fronts will wear faster, but the rears already have a big head start. Should I wait 20k miles to rotate instead of the usual 10k i normally do? to give the new fronts a chance to wear down?

BJanzen 01-23-2009 08:34 PM

Re: how much faster do front tires wear out?

I would just check them with a penny once a month or so. Then once they are equal, rotate em. Then just do the normal schuedule. That is what I was told.

RyuNyte 01-23-2009 08:34 PM

I work at discount tire and this question comes up alot because alot of people buy just 2 tires instead of 4 new ones, just rotate the tires how you normally would. even though you drove 8k on your old tires, it should be fine to rotate it because the wear on them shouldnt be that much, unless you drive really aggressive which i doubt you do. I hope that answered your question.

RyuNyte 01-23-2009 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by BJanzen (Post 4382878)
I would just check them with a penny once a month or so. Then once they are equal, rotate em. Then just do the normal schuedule. That is what I was told.

That also sounds like a good idea too, however like how i said before, 8k miles shouldnt be much wear. I've had my tires for about 10k now and it not that much different from when i first got them.

gearbox 01-23-2009 09:44 PM

thanks guys

Alpha 5 01-23-2009 09:47 PM

Are they directional?

If not you can rotate them from side to side at 10k then at 20k from front to rear.
After that just start your normal rotation....

gearbox 01-23-2009 10:11 PM

no. i also heard that some people dont rotate tires at all, cause if you dont then yeah the front ones wear out faster but the rears last alot longer than if you rotated them, so you could just buy a new set of front tires when they are bad, and the rears still have 1/2 of their life. and technically it would be cheaper.

BJanzen 01-23-2009 10:31 PM

Good Point ^^^

kcari 01-24-2009 12:21 AM

i dont rotate mine. im a baller like that

04 Honda Civic 02-24-2009 12:31 AM

lol ^^

kkjae187 03-11-2009 01:41 AM

My car been through 33k already and I had it since April 08. I have not had my tires rotated and when I asked my friend if it should be rotated, he said I need a replacement. I noticed my rear is far worse than my front. Shouldn't the michelin pilot last at least 60K ?

CraigW 03-11-2009 06:31 AM

^^^^^ treated like that no way.

My interval for the past quite a few year has been 5000 miles.

And, I switch sides and rotation each time ( never stays on the same side or same direction over 5k)

Once the tires are cupped or scalloped they will never recover.