6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

GSR swap help running but very poorly.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alex Yoas is an unknown quantity at this point
GSR swap help running but very poorly.

94 OBD2 GSR in a 94 Del sol, first swap.

Finally got my GSR Del sol swap running but now I have another issue. After I got it running it sounded very low toned like the dizzy was off so I adjusted it and jumped in the car to take it around the block after letting it run for a good 30 mins. It felt very slow but I wasn't trying to go fast was, only doing like 15MPH around the block. I got to a slight hill right before my house and had to floor it in 2nd gear to make it up this hill. No joke, I tried to get it up to speed but it wont even get past 25MPH xD

So now I don't know what is wrong again and that's why I'm back here. I am 99% sure its not the timing on the dizzy, mI tried to mark the wires when I pulled the harness as best I could but possible I messed one up, and the motor was running about 1-2 months ago in another car so I don't think its the timing on the belt since it was running fine before doing highway speeds.

I suppose I need to check the diagram for the plugs but the only good ones I can find are obd1 or the colors on the wires don't match mine, so it may be possible that the wire I pulled was off of another motor, but I do know it worked in the last car which was exactly the same as mine (94 b18c1 in a Del sol).

Just looking for suggestions on where to look since this is my first swap I've learned a lot but obviously have more to learn.
Old 02-24-2016
Registered!!

Re: GSR swap help running but very poorly.

Another note might help but I started it up again this week since im off work and now it feels even worse, don't trust to take it up that hill again.
Old 02-24-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

firing order around the cap got wrong, maybe wires from 2 and 3 got swapped?

Get it to run, lift up each plug wire off the plug one at a time, if two of them have no effect on how it is running then those are the two to swap
Old 02-24-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
firing order around the cap got wrong, maybe wires from 2 and 3 got swapped?

Get it to run, lift up each plug wire off the plug one at a time, if two of them have no effect on how it is running then those are the two to swap

From my understanding I have the firing order correct but I will check my plugs and test them. I currently have them 1 2 3 4 from driver side to pass. and the dizzy is,
3 4
1 2

Ill update if anything is off about the injectors or plugs. I originally got the car to start with 3 injectors plugged in, it wasn't starting so i took one off to test it and it started up.
Old 02-24-2016
Registered!!

So I lifted each plug and every one made it bog lower, BUT when I did the first couple it made no difference to the motor until I came back around to test them again. I went in my car with them all in and the rpm was higher then it was earlier like it was running better. Earlier it was below 1k rpm after testing the plugs it was above 1k rpm, possibly effected it or possibly coincidence. That's a pretty smart way to test plug order I'll have to remember that.

Another note I believe I smelt gas, whatever the smell it made me slightly light headed. Possible gas leak before the injectors starving it of gas?