6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Best way to lower a Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flako is an unknown quantity at this point
Best way to lower a Civic

I have a 97 Civic Hatchback and was wondering what is the best way to lower it. Because I live in CO (Snow 3 or 4 months ofthe year) I dont want to go to low. But I have seen many rides that while they do look low, they also bounce like a damn jack rabbit getting its freak on.

Ive heard they usually just cut the springs but it seems to me thats just a cheap way to achieve a lower ride.

What brands are out there that would give me a smooth ride while lowering the vehicle. Also what is a good amount of inches to lower with out finding my self scrapping or bottoming out every couple of blocks?

Ive read about adjustable springs and they seem like a good idea, but then i got a bit confused with what would be better, replacing with adjustable springs or coilovers... whats the difference and what would give me a smooth ride while adding better driving at higher speeds.

Thanks a ton for any info you might provide.

Last edited by Flako; 11-22-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

giovanhalen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best way to lower a Civic

I installed Eibach 4018.780 Pro-System Suspension Kit on my 1999 Honda Civic Si, had been running Skunk2 pro S adjustable that came on the car and they were too stiff for the street. The Eibach struts and springs work good, ride is not too stiff and cornering is still good, the car looks good, bottom of front lip is 5 3/4" from ground and rear is 10 !/2" from ground. Didn't need spring compressor too get nut started when assembling the springs on the struts. I got the kit from Amazon for around $440. Keep in mind that if you drop the car much more than this, you will not be able to align the wheels properly without spending more money for suspension parts to adjust camber.

Last edited by giovanhalen; 11-22-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 11-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Here's the run down on bouncy rides. When you put springs with rates to high for the damper valving the result is a shitty ride, poor handling and a car that bounces all over the road. No stock shock has dampers valved to deal with high spring rates, so if you're going to lower your car and you want to have actual performance gains and a nice ride, change the shocks. When you cut a spring, every coil remove doubles the spring rates and ****s the way the spring delivers those rates up, don't do it.

Shock wise, Koni Streets are generally considered the best for budget lowering. Eibach is good also, but I'm personally not a fan of skunk2 products and many people within the import community also share that view. You will be able to pair koni strs with any off the shelf lowering spring combination. For springs, eibach is generally regarded as the best value. You can go with an adjustable lowering spring, which would be ground controls, paired with a shock they are essentially the equivalent of a full coilover.

I would personally go with Progress CSII, they retail for $580 and are a decent performing coilover. They also are the only company offering a coilover at that price point that delivers a quality product for civics, companies like bwr are complete garbage.
Old 11-22-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

geez, have been a while since one came here with the old adage: "best" way to "lower" the car...
thought we had taken care of all of that already...
Old 11-22-2011
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I like my Eibach sportlines. Lowered my 01 about an 1.5 inch. I did need a front a rear camber kit for proper alignment and a new set of rear struts (Tokico). It handles a lot better though. Definatly worth the investment. It does ride rough but the better handling is worth it for me.
Old 11-22-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

heh, golnat, just be careful - front suspension on the 6th gen is completely diff than our 7th gen
Old 11-22-2011
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Oh yea they have a double wishbone suspension, forgot about that!!
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

Thanks a ton Mindbomber and Nolgat, thats great info. another quick question. Is there such a thing as and adjustable Coilover?? Or would I be stuck at a determined hight if I do coilovers vs adjustable springs?

Thanks a ton!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Here's the run down on bouncy rides. When you put springs with rates to high for the damper valving the result is a shitty ride, poor handling and a car that bounces all over the road. No stock shock has dampers valved to deal with high spring rates, so if you're going to lower your car and you want to have actual performance gains and a nice ride, change the shocks. When you cut a spring, every coil remove doubles the spring rates and ****s the way the spring delivers those rates up, don't do it.

Shock wise, Koni Streets are generally considered the best for budget lowering. Eibach is good also, but I'm personally not a fan of skunk2 products and many people within the import community also share that view. You will be able to pair koni strs with any off the shelf lowering spring combination. For springs, eibach is generally regarded as the best value. You can go with an adjustable lowering spring, which would be ground controls, paired with a shock they are essentially the equivalent of a full coilover.

I would personally go with Progress CSII, they retail for $580 and are a decent performing coilover. They also are the only company offering a coilover at that price point that delivers a quality product for civics, companies like bwr are complete garbage.
So am I missing something or do people not lower their rides anymore?

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
geez, have been a while since one came here with the old adage: "best" way to "lower" the car...
thought we had taken care of all of that already...

Last edited by Flako; 11-23-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2011
Prelude Owner

Coilovers are adjustable, springs are not. Springs are cheaper but you can't adjust them.
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

Why get adjustable coil-overs? Are you going to be raising and lowering the car multiple times? Every-time you change the height, the front-end alignment changes and camber changes. You want to get sport strut and springs that are matched and that are for the street, from what you said. The Eibach kit I told you about is what you need, Tokico also has a set of sport struts and springs that cost a little less, other companies also make sport strut and springs for the street. I think if you get racing coil-overs you will be one of the guys bouncing down the street and wearing the inside of your tires out.
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

Due to all the snow we get in Denver I would like to raise my ride during winter. That way I can put cables on it if need be. Summer it would go back down. I figured getting an aligment on it 2 a year is not a bid deal.
Old 11-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by giovanhalen
I think if you get racing coil-overs you will be one of the guys bouncing down the street and wearing the inside of your tires out.
True racing coilovers won't bounce, that wouldn't be good for performance on the track. They do however use very high spring rates and aggressive valving in the dampers, so the ride is stiff as hell. I don't have race spec coilovers, but mine are fairly aggressive, and although the ride doesn't bother me, my friends never ask me for rides anymore haha.

Flako, I raise my car for winter every year and get an alignment, just like you plan on doing. If that's the route you're going to take just go to a shop that offers lifetime alignments.
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

I see so what would you recommend for a lower, smooth ride, even if it doesnt give me the racing performance. I much rather have a smooth ride. I dont plan on racing this civic.
Old 11-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If height adjustment is important, definitely Progress CSII.

Good balance between comfort and performance, ride height adjustable, and a reasonable price.
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
True racing coilovers won't bounce, that wouldn't be good for performance on the track. They do however use very high spring rates and aggressive valving in the dampers, so the ride is stiff as hell. I don't have race spec coilovers, but mine are fairly aggressive, and although the ride doesn't bother me, my friends never ask me for rides anymore haha.

Flako, I raise my car for winter every year and get an alignment, just like you plan on doing. If that's the route you're going to take just go to a shop that offers lifetime alignments.
Racing struts and springs will put your head into the roof on some roads! Racetracks are smooth, the right combination of whoop tee doos on the highway will bounce you even with street struts. Don't even think about hitting speed bumps and old railroad tracks. I once went airborne and hit my head on the headliner in an old stock suspension GTO going over a hump where railroad tracks use to be. If he is serious about raising the car every year and wants a soft ride maybe he should look at an air-ride system other-wise how about these?

http://www.d2racing.com/content/products/RS_coilovers
Old 11-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by giovanhalen
Racing struts and springs will put your head into the roof on some roads! Racetracks are smooth, the right combination of whoop tee doos on the highway will bounce you even with street struts. Don't even think about hitting speed bumps and old railroad tracks. I once went airborne and hit my head on the headliner in an old stock suspension GTO going over a hump where railroad tracks use to be. If he is serious about raising the car every year and wants a soft ride maybe he should look at an air-ride system other-wise how about these?

http://www.d2racing.com/content/products/RS_coilovers

True enough.

D2 coilovers aren't great. I could find a shock dyno and post it up, but most people wouldn't understand how to read it, the dampening curve is terrible and they really aren't that inexpensive. At the price point I love progress, because they're actually the OEM parts manufacturer for TRD. That leaves no concern over quality, and to me, it shows that they have a good understanding of how to balance performance and comfort.
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

I wont lie... I like the price tag on the Progress CSII much better... Lol