6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Winter hates me!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DX5spd is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Winter hates me!!

So the other day i was driving to my girls house I noticed my temp gauge was rising slowly but not to the piont to worry much. Then next thing I know its almost pegged and i see steam coming from under the hood at a red light. Pull over and I got NO coolant. Now i saw the back of my engine block is soaked with coolant under the IM and this is were it is leaking. First i thought head gasket but it doesnt leak from there. Its down further around were the oil filter is, I cant see anything else it could be leaking from. Then i thought is it a freeze plug or is there something else that could be leaking. I saw a big bolt looked like a drain plug or something. Im losing like a gallon every two/three days. Can anyone help. Thanks
Old 12-02-2008
Registered!!

lilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter hates me!!

are you blowing any smoke out the exhaust? Not joking does your exhaust smell sweet?? and i think there is a coolant bypass pipe on the back of the block that runs from the water pump to the thermostat. they have been known to leak from time to time. you really have to get under it and take a good look. with the car cold fill it up and pressure test the cooling system. if its leaking like you are saying then you should be able to find the leak.. Let me know your findings.
Old 12-02-2008
Registered!!

DX5spd is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Winter hates me!!

No smoke and it actually stinks, but sounds sweet. I actually was thinking the same about that bypass pipe so I fired her up then looked carefully and found it. I was so glad it wasn't a freeze plug or a cracked head or something. There is a hose that goes from The IAC i think to the pipe that seems to be dripping very rapidly only when idling though. Going to check the shed for a extra bypass pipe from my old blown motor and ill get some new hose tomorrow and fix her. Gotta do something soon i drive 40 sometimes 65 miles a-day. Thanks for helping out