7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what can i do to my d17 1.7l auto non-v-tec?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: what can i do to my d17 1.7l auto non-v-tec?

Originally Posted by TRIZ
You dont need engine management for a headswap... you just need a way to control the vtec point (since the LX ECU doesnt have a pin in for vtec). You either do this by swapping the ECU and engine harness, or simply installing a Apexi VAFC2.
Thanks, since i already have a EX, i only know what i read here second hand, but that was explained in one of the threads, i believe.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yOuNg HoNdA is an unknown quantity at this point

ok well thank all of you guys for the help, also where would i get a helms manual from????
Old 01-09-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

any autoparts store...
Old 01-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by yOuNg HoNdA
ok well thank all of you guys for the help, also where would i get a helms manual from????
Well, I posted a link to the free one, but you can get the helms manual at any auto-parts store. I would spend a bit more and get the Honda service manual from the dealer.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

b0ssman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Well, I posted a link to the free one, but you can get the helms manual at any auto-parts store. I would spend a bit more and get the Honda service manual from the dealer.
Honda uses the Helms(mine was given to me by a certified honda mechanic),you will only find garbage *** Chilton's manuals in autoparts stores and sometimes their specs are off or they completely miss a subject/check/inspection that is required.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

Ok Thank you guys alot well if I come up with some more
Questions I will post them on this thread.
Old 01-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sorry, guys, misread helms for haynes...
Old 01-10-2011
Registered!!

Ok now I have questions about a WSD kit can I put one on my type of car or will it be to much
For my tranny and engine
Old 01-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Whats a WSD kit?
Old 01-10-2011
Registered!!

Sorry I meant a MSD kit.
Old 01-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MSD ignition kits can release a few ponies on motors that have spark plug wires and a distributor, but since 7gs have coil-over-plug ignition there's already nothing better than the factory set-up.
Old 01-11-2011
Registered!!

Ok cool.
If I WERE to upgrade my tranny, what can I upgrade
In it?
Old 01-11-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

More searching and reading warranted:
enter auto to manual DIY in the search engine and rear results
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ic-ex-4dr.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...anny-swap.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...to-manual.html
Old 01-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

There's lots you can upgrade in the transmission and there are options for rebuilding it with a performance kit, but swapping it to a manual would be the best option. I'd suggest auto-to-manual swap, because thats the least expensive best option.

Either way, just wait till your trans dies then do it.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

O ok cool I know thats alot of work tho.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

ok i just read all 3 threads and its alot of work to do.

so like that one post said, would it be better to do the tranny first and get use to stick, then swith the motor or do it all at once???
Old 01-12-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Do the motor, its way cheaper than a tranny swap and less involved. Once you have the vtec head on, you might not even want to swap the tranny anymore.
Old 01-13-2011
Registered!!

ok so i have learned alot bout my car and i saw on one thread that my car has a cutout ready to go if i wanted to make it standard fot the clutch.
now with that said i have read its alot of work.

im getting a vtec head and im getting the head gasket and im getting a exhaust gasket. what else do i need to get besides the vafc2.

and where do i find and buy a vafc2.
Old 01-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

and where do i find and buy a vafc2.
well, since you PM'd, let me say again that i never did it, since i do have a EX - V-TEC from factory - already.
But a quick search ingoggle on Apexi VAFC should give you a result.
Old 01-17-2011
Registered!!

is it true that i can put turbo in my car
Old 01-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

is it true that i can put turbo in my car
You can put anything you want in your car.

Gold bricks, a Zebra, Gearbox, french fries, you could even put 50 turbos a couple dozen supercharges and a barrel full of N02 in your car if you like. You wouldn't even need to modify the engine.. might need to take the front passenger seat out though.
Old 01-17-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Gold bricks, a Zebra, Gearbox, french fries, you could even put 50 turbos a couple dozen supercharges and a barrel full of N02 in your car if you like. You wouldn't even need to modify the engine.. might need to take the front passenger seat out though.
Lol. 'Nuff said :P
Old 01-17-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

All depends on your budget..Good inexpensive cosmetic mods are LED climate controls, rear disk conversion, retro-fit headlights, fog lights, painting things (ask mac25 about painting lol)
damb right!

funny! especially gearbox =D

but seriously yes you can turbo the car. but you need serious money.

like $3000 for the turbo stuff
turbocharger
bov
wastegate
intercooler
random piping
oil return line
turbo gauge

$700-1200 exhaust
quality air filter
turbo header
downpipe
highflow cat
turbo sized cat. back exhaust

$800-1200 engine managment
the piggyback or standalone control unit (your auto so it has to be piggyback unless you swap for manual)
a harness
a turbo MAF sensor

plus you need to get it tuned at a shop with a dyno around here it's like $100 for the first hour then $50 for every other hour if you can do it yourself or $150 per hour if you want the shop to tune it. well that's mopac anyway.
Old 01-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If you go turbo the only worthwhile EMS is turbo, thats $1800 with the ECU, but you can find good deals on Honda-Tech sometimes.

I would never take my car to the mopac dyno lolz
Old 01-18-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

ooh why? where would you go?
Old 01-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Their tuners aren't great. The best people in the industry move from independent shop to independent shop, they're traded like hockey players and people follow them. Same idea applies to people who roll fenders, because its also more an art than a science.

Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam has the best dyno tuners in British Columbia and charge the same price. They just finished tuning a 1500hp street legal Supra.
Old 01-18-2011
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Their tuners aren't great. The best people in the industry move from independent shop to independent shop, they're traded like hockey players and people follow them. Same idea applies to people who roll fenders, because its also more an art than a science.

Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam has the best dyno tuners in British Columbia and charge the same price. They just finished tuning a 1500hp street legal Supra.
Agree on the tuners. Shops dont usually last that long, a few years at a time and usually close up, but what makes the shop is the tuners. It doesnt matter where they work, you just want the good ones working on your car, and you'll drive all over the state just to get your car to them. People who mod their car dont have loyalty to any shops, they have loyalty to their tuner because that guys worked on your car before and knows whats good.
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

does anyone know if i can put headers on my 01 civic lx and have a catalist converter like that i can pass inspection or is there a way around it
Old 02-09-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

convert to a full EX exhaust system. ex header, ex downpipe, ex cat, ex catback/muffler. the header and catback can be aftermarket.