8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Suggestion about extended warranty for civic 2010 EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiran S is an unknown quantity at this point
Suggestion about extended warranty for civic 2010 EX

Hi Everyone ,

I am in final stages of buying a civic 2010 EX model . It has 60k miles on it .I am buying from a honda franchise dealer . He sais that I will need to pay 2k more if I need an extended warranty for 3 years/ 36000 miles . I really do not want to pay 2k for extra warranty .I wanted to know that about what mileage usually civics start showing maintainnace isses ? Will it be worth to buy that extra warranty ?? I am really confused . Kindly help me .
Old 04-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestion about extended warranty for civic 2010 EX

Warranty don't cover maintenance.
Maintenance is always recommended, stuff like changing fluids NOW because you have no idea if any good services have ever been done.

Did you have a pre-purchase inspection done by a trusted mechanic? Anything found that would cause problems in the near future, or that you could use to negotiate a lower price?
(The dealers 127 point inspection is done for their benefit, not yours.)

Assuming the pre-purchase inspection doesn't reveal red flags......
Personally, I'd take that 2k and put it in the bank, have it ready if the car ever does break.
If it doesn't break anything major, you have 2k to show for it.

JMHO, YMMV
Old 04-10-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,202 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I get tired when I see the "your warranty is expiring" notices. Every time I needed the warranty, they would try their best to find some reason to deny it, by the most insane reasons. Aside from factory warranty, I mean.

If you are handy, you don't need it. If you are not, warranty other than factory are money makers (not your money)

Buying used cars is always a risk. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it could be bad. Always have some extra cash for when it's bad.
Old 04-11-2016
Registered!!

Thanks ezone ,
I will get it inspected thoroughy by a mechanic.
Old 04-11-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I get tired when I see the "your warranty is expiring" notices. Every time I needed the warranty, they would try their best to find some reason to deny it, by the most insane reasons. Aside from factory warranty, I mean.

If you are handy, you don't need it. If you are not, warranty other than factory are money makers (not your money)

Buying used cars is always a risk. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it could be bad. Always have some extra cash for when it's bad.
Sdaidoji ,
Thanks for the reply .
I have heard the same about these extended warranties. I think the dealers are making huge money out of these warranties. They are taking advantage of the fear
Old 04-12-2016
Registered!!

Mutato is an unknown quantity at this point

I would pass. These cars are well built and like others have said, the 2K is a gamble that they tend to win. Meaning you'll not hit some 2K expense within that 3 years. Also, they could try to deny anything buy picking apart your maintenance records etc...

I had to spend around $1000 for a new A/C compressor last year and then $1500 for a clutch/transmission repair. BUT that was at 235,000 Miles!
Old 04-13-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Too much red tape & BS with those extended warranties, I don't care what the paperwork reads.

Got one hell of a Honda tech, and refuse to submit to their tactics.