General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

positive crank valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enoughbluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enough
positive crank valve

on the intake there is a hose connecting the intake to the PCV(positive crank valve). i think its like.. the gas that escapes around the piston is sent through the PCV through the hose and into the intake where the gasses are recirculated back into the engine. now since the gas came from the engine it is hot. this hot air is then blown into the intake where it gets ingested into the throttle body. wouldnt u lose power cus u have hot air entering the intake? this would defeat the purpose of a cold air intake. this is where the breather filter comes in. u can disconnect the hose connecting the intake from the PCV and put a breather filter on the PCV. By doing this u dont allow the hot gas to enter the intake. but then again this PCV works on a vacume system. the air in the intake pulls the valve open through the connecting hose. if u put a breather filter on the PCV then there is no vacume pressure to open the valve. so this is where im wondering what to do.
1) take off connecting hose and install breather filter on intake ( no more hot gas entering intake)
2) by installing breather filter wouldnt there be no vacume pressure to open the valve? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-07-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
[hr]Originally posted by: bluericeburna2k2

1) take off connecting hose and install breather filter on intake ( no more hot gas entering intake)
2) by installing breather filter wouldnt there be no vacume pressure to open the valve? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
1) Breather filter goes on the PCV valve not the intake

2) PCV valves open by vacuum from the intake, or pressure in the crankcase. So it'll work, but I honestly don't think you are going to gain anything positive from it. It's also not legal.
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

spookini is an unknown quantity at this point
Positive crank valve?
PCV = Positive crankcase ventilation valve
The off-gas entering the intake via PCV is minimal. And disconnecting it will allow those gases to buildup inside the crankcase and cause damage. Leave it on.
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

astr033 is an unknown quantity at this point
In the Honda Maintenance schedule at my dealership one of the things they do is to check to make sure the PCV valve is working okay. Is there a test that an average joe could do to check the PCV valve?
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

spookini is an unknown quantity at this point
Umm, basically the PCV valve on a 'Vic is mounted vertically. It is just a weighted plastic valve. Vacuum pressure from the intake lifts it up, it floats open and wastegases from the crankcase flow out. W/o the vacuum pressure, gravity takes over and the float valve closes. So if you take a new PCV valve and shake it, you hear "click click click"...just the float piece bouncing open and close. That is basically it for "testing" the valve -- over time the off-gas crap will gunk up the valve and it won't click open and close. So you replace it.

The bad news is that on the 'Vic it is kind of a pain in the *** to get to. It is mounted near the middle rear of the engine and usually you can't even see it or get to it b/c the air intake manifold is in the way. But if you jack up the car and climb under you can get to it and pull it out. Take it off the hose and shake it, if it's still clicking it's still good, so just put it back on and your done.

(Okay, if I'm wrong, somebody smarter pls flame away...)