General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Worth doing cams on a stock D17a2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tjg312 is an unknown quantity at this point
Worth doing cams on a stock D17a2?

I know the d17 isn't really worth building up a lot, but I was just looking to make a little more power out of it and hoping to get more torque, right now I only have bolt ons, and as most everyone knows the d17 doesn't react too well with them..

Was looking at the crower stage 2 N/A cams: http://www.crower.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=63462c

and was wondering what kind of power I can expect out of it...
just hoping to get a little more power out of my puny d17, also possibly considering spraying low shots in the future(probably only like 50, 75 max).

It's my DD so I'm not really trying to make it a "race" car, I just want some more power so it's not so torqueless(new word?)

Also was wondering if anyone know any guides or pictures they can point me to to get a better idea of what I'm getting into... I've never really did any internal engine work before, but I feel like im capable of doing cams, doesn't seem like too big of a job, just don't wanna screw things up.

Also would a tune be required if I did this?
Old 09-28-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Worth doing cams on a stock D17a2?

The stage 2 requires springs and other stuff.
The stage 1 is just install it. no tune required, but it could unlock more power if retune.
Old 09-28-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just stick with stage1, cheapest (no spring and retainer kit, no tune) and easiest for daily driver. no rough idle.
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

Thanks guys, yeah I guess I'll go with the stage 1 cams then, but how much power would I really get out of it as a rough estimate?
I'm hoping for like 10 horses but even then I'm thinking I might be hoping for a bit too much outta a d17
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

about 20 to 25 extra hp at the wheels with the stage 1 and it works well with bolt ons

stage 2 needs springs and retainers and crower doesn't mention it but I will tell from having more experience than anyone else with that cam you need k-pro in order to get the car to idle with stage 2 and k-pro is not cheap

but stage 1 awesome!!!
Old 09-29-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

do you happen to have any dyno sheets of the stage1 or know how the power curve changes? is there more hp and less torque, or does power go up at all rpms.
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

yeah, trying to avoid having to spend a lot of money on it so getting it tuned with k-pro or whatever is outta the question...
20-25 whp from the stage 1 seems good though, definitely gonna consider doing it in the near future.

seconding the dyno sheets too... really interested about where the power is put down with them. I heard that you get more low end power out of it but never saw any sheets to prove it
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

Bryan has the dyno sheets on it they are on the "other" forum cough 7thg cough. I stuck one in curiousG's car more power across the board idles smooth runs like stock just more power and he is actually getting better gas mileage. the cam is a perfect offset for the stupid amount of fuel the stock ecu dumps.

It is really nice I was kicking myself cause I wish I had just done this instead of going ape **** crazy with all the N/A stuff

that cam for the price and what you get you really can't beat it
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bomerman19
Bryan has the dyno sheets on it they are on the "other" forum cough 7thg cough. I stuck one in curiousG's car more power across the board idles smooth runs like stock just more power and he is actually getting better gas mileage. the cam is a perfect offset for the stupid amount of fuel the stock ecu dumps.

It is really nice I was kicking myself cause I wish I had just done this instead of going ape **** crazy with all the N/A stuff

that cam for the price and what you get you really can't beat it
nice man, exactly what i wanted to hear! think i found those dyno sheets, and definitely looks worth the price.
seems like cams are really one of the only things worth doing to the D17a2 short of going all out and setting up a turbo build huh? was kinda upset at how little of a gain I got from boltons, but wasn't really expecting too much in the first place
Old 09-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

decided to delete it

Last edited by sdaidoji; 09-30-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: decided to delete it
Old 09-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Decided to delete it

Last edited by sdaidoji; 09-30-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2010
Registered!!

jmason101 is an unknown quantity at this point

where can i get stage 1 cam for a d17a2?
Old 10-24-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

http://www.crower.com/parts.html?cat=11