General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

I need help! metalic noise after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
laack is an unknown quantity at this point
I need help! metalic noise after fluid change

97 civic... 109xxx

i just drained refiled man trans, oil change with castrol 5 w 30, mobile 1 filter, new airfilter (fram) and new plugs (ngk platinum) and checked pcv valve..

triple checked all fluids before and after starting engine for the first time. after startup its wining almost like a metal on metal with no lubercation. i didnt drive it, just shut it off. rechecked oil filter, removed it. oil poured out so i'm led to believe oil is circulating. reinstalled let it sit for a few minutes checked oil agian added about a cup and started again.. same noise after about 30 seconds of running

i'm to paranoid to drive it to a shop right now, a tow truck will be my option if i start it again later and the noise continues.

what are possible causes for it to start making noise after routine mx that? noise was NOT there before.

no check engine light
no ticking/knocking
please ask for more details if you need them.
idle at 1500 rpm
i didnt do an ecu reset yet
it only ran for 30 seconds

double post from general forum.. i figure this is more appropriate here. can someone delete other one
Old 01-26-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I need help! metalic noise after fluid change

Originally Posted by laack
97 civic... 109xxx

i just drained refiled man trans, oil change with castrol 5 w 30, mobile 1 filter, new airfilter (fram) and new plugs (ngk platinum) and checked pcv valve..

triple checked all fluids before and after starting engine for the first time. after startup its wining almost like a metal on metal with no lubercation. i didnt drive it, just shut it off. rechecked oil filter, removed it. oil poured out so i'm led to believe oil is circulating. reinstalled let it sit for a few minutes checked oil agian added about a cup and started again.. same noise after about 30 seconds of running

i'm to paranoid to drive it to a shop right now, a tow truck will be my option if i start it again later and the noise continues.

what are possible causes for it to start making noise after routine mx that? noise was NOT there before.

no check engine light
no ticking/knocking
please ask for more details if you need them.
idle at 1500 rpm
i didnt do an ecu reset yet
it only ran for 30 seconds

double post from general forum.. i figure this is more appropriate here. can someone delete other one
Did you make sure you put back all the caps and dipsticks?
Old 01-26-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civicpapi
Did you make sure you put back all the caps and dipsticks?
it ended up being power steering pump bearing.. I didnt have any lights so i drove down the road to a shop. quick diagnosis and easy repair

just plain bad luck on timing
Old 01-26-2010
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by laack
it ended up being power steering pump bearing.. I didnt have any lights so i drove down the road to a shop. quick diagnosis and easy repair

just plain bad luck on timing
Hey ummm, my PS bearing is making noise. You say it's an easy fix? I've also got a bad bearing on the PS pulley, but I don't want to pay 40 bucks for a new pulley assembly.
Old 01-26-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
Hey ummm, my PS bearing is making noise. You say it's an easy fix? I've also got a bad bearing on the PS pulley, but I don't want to pay 40 bucks for a new pulley assembly.

junkyard pump-$25 after some crafty negotiating, $14 in new fluid
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

I don't like my junk yard, it's not fun haggling with the owner. What kind of nonsense is it when the guy gets offended when you haggle? What, should I be expected to walk in there bent over with my pants down, accepting face-value? I bet he wouldn't get offended then.
Old 01-27-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

D&D? lol they got mad when i said their price was too expensive and left. they wanted $20 for an ignition coil and i can get them all over everywhere else for $10. they usually have no parts anyways, just some junk like broken gauges and oil caps.
Old 01-28-2010
Registered!!

No, airport auto wrecking. The prices at D&D and airport both suck. And pick n pull's latest civic is a 95, probably stripped to the frame.