Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   I need help! metalic noise after fluid change (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/325654-i-need-help-metalic-noise-after-fluid-change.html)

laack 01-26-2010 11:54 AM

I need help! metalic noise after fluid change

97 civic... 109xxx

i just drained refiled man trans, oil change with castrol 5 w 30, mobile 1 filter, new airfilter (fram) and new plugs (ngk platinum) and checked pcv valve..

triple checked all fluids before and after starting engine for the first time. after startup its wining almost like a metal on metal with no lubercation. i didnt drive it, just shut it off. rechecked oil filter, removed it. oil poured out so i'm led to believe oil is circulating. reinstalled let it sit for a few minutes checked oil agian added about a cup and started again.. same noise after about 30 seconds of running

i'm to paranoid to drive it to a shop right now, a tow truck will be my option if i start it again later and the noise continues.

what are possible causes for it to start making noise after routine mx that? noise was NOT there before.

no check engine light
no ticking/knocking
please ask for more details if you need them.
idle at 1500 rpm
i didnt do an ecu reset yet
it only ran for 30 seconds

double post from general forum.. i figure this is more appropriate here. can someone delete other one

civicpapi 01-26-2010 01:20 PM

Re: I need help! metalic noise after fluid change

Originally Posted by laack (Post 4454418)
97 civic... 109xxx

i just drained refiled man trans, oil change with castrol 5 w 30, mobile 1 filter, new airfilter (fram) and new plugs (ngk platinum) and checked pcv valve..

triple checked all fluids before and after starting engine for the first time. after startup its wining almost like a metal on metal with no lubercation. i didnt drive it, just shut it off. rechecked oil filter, removed it. oil poured out so i'm led to believe oil is circulating. reinstalled let it sit for a few minutes checked oil agian added about a cup and started again.. same noise after about 30 seconds of running

i'm to paranoid to drive it to a shop right now, a tow truck will be my option if i start it again later and the noise continues.

what are possible causes for it to start making noise after routine mx that? noise was NOT there before.

no check engine light
no ticking/knocking
please ask for more details if you need them.
idle at 1500 rpm
i didnt do an ecu reset yet
it only ran for 30 seconds

double post from general forum.. i figure this is more appropriate here. can someone delete other one

Did you make sure you put back all the caps and dipsticks?

laack 01-26-2010 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by civicpapi (Post 4454438)
Did you make sure you put back all the caps and dipsticks?

it ended up being power steering pump bearing.. I didnt have any lights so i drove down the road to a shop. quick diagnosis and easy repair

just plain bad luck on timing

Cleft_Asunder 01-26-2010 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by laack (Post 4454439)
it ended up being power steering pump bearing.. I didnt have any lights so i drove down the road to a shop. quick diagnosis and easy repair

just plain bad luck on timing

Hey ummm, my PS bearing is making noise. You say it's an easy fix? I've also got a bad bearing on the PS pulley, but I don't want to pay 40 bucks for a new pulley assembly.

laack 01-26-2010 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder (Post 4454470)
Hey ummm, my PS bearing is making noise. You say it's an easy fix? I've also got a bad bearing on the PS pulley, but I don't want to pay 40 bucks for a new pulley assembly.

junkyard pump-$25 after some crafty negotiating, $14 in new fluid

Cleft_Asunder 01-27-2010 03:29 PM

I don't like my junk yard, it's not fun haggling with the owner. What kind of nonsense is it when the guy gets offended when you haggle? What, should I be expected to walk in there bent over with my pants down, accepting face-value? I bet he wouldn't get offended then. :rolleyes:

gearbox 01-27-2010 09:44 PM

D&D? lol they got mad when i said their price was too expensive and left. they wanted $20 for an ignition coil and i can get them all over everywhere else for $10. they usually have no parts anyways, just some junk like broken gauges and oil caps.

Cleft_Asunder 01-28-2010 12:05 AM

No, airport auto wrecking. The prices at D&D and airport both suck. And pick n pull's latest civic is a 95, probably stripped to the frame.