General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Help power windows on my 99 civic are very sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grega is an unknown quantity at this point
Help power windows on my 99 civic are very sluggish

Hey guys,

My power windows on my 99 civic are very slow. i've removed the door panel. I sprayed some silicone spray in the rubber groove that the window slides in. I also sprayed some on the track that the plastic wheel rolls along.
This did not seem to help much at all. Is There something else that needs to be oiled or greased?
Thanks

Greg A
Old 11-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help power windows on my 99 civic are very sluggish

could just be the motor is getting weak if the lube did not help. or they are not getting enough power due to poor wiring.
Old 11-02-2009
Registered!!

gearbox,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't able to get oil or grease into the motor. it's in a hard to reach area. i was hoping someone who's gone throught this could advise me on what they did. I don't want to take the motor and regulator out unless i have to. I bet most ppl with this car have this issue.

greg a
Old 11-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I am pretty sure its a good thing that you didnt spray the motor, or your windows would not go up at all. The motor is probably weak and needs to be replaced. Check to see if the wires are coroded.
Old 11-03-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Try cleaning out both front & rear tracks/channels, both above and below. Use a rag and water based cleaner and clean until the dirt stops appearing.

Make sure the rubber channel inserts are in pushed back in place and not folded or misformed.

Last edited by CraigW; 11-03-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-03-2009
Registered!!

Craigw,

Thanks for the tips. sounds like a good idea. I'm going to do that tonite. i'm also going to put some moly lubricant in the track with the plastic wheel.

Greg A
Old 11-03-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried running the window with the panel off? you might be able to figure out whats slowing it down.
Old 11-03-2009
Registered!!

yes the panel is off.
it seems to be slower towards the bottom. i'm not sure what's slowing it down. It's hard to tell. It has slightly improved with the siliconed track however.

Greg
Old 11-03-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

If there are mounting bolts for the track make sure the bolts are present and tight.
Old 11-13-2009
Registered!!

hey guys,

thanks for all your help.
i've got it working about 50percent better so i'm happy with that for now.

thanks
greg
Old 11-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

Hey
you should also check your Grounds. I've came across grounds wether inside or outside the car that are corroded and onced cleaned up parts performed better. Wether it be brighter headlights or an increase in speed of power windows.
Old 11-14-2009
Premium Member

where are the window motors grounded to?