General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Whole lot of maint/repair next couple weeks

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tarheel365 is an unknown quantity at this point
Whole lot of maint/repair next couple weeks

Need some advice on some maint stuff I'll be doing.

I need to have my timing belt changed as I just got to 90k miles. While I've got the car up I figure I may as well replace my cv axles (right inner cv has some grease leaking out...no noises yet), dealer said my compliance bushings need to be changed, and I need the oil pan gasket replaced.

For compliance bushings:
I tried reading up on the threads...but I'd like to summarize here. Remove the LCA take it to a shop to press out/in the bushings.

For a leaking rightside inner cv boot. I understand it's the same amount of work to change the boot than to change the right axle. Do I need to change out both sides?

I'll probably begin ordering my parts in the next few days so any tips or part recommendations(cv axle, etc) is appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm also gonna take some quotes on some of the shops nearby...if the price is right and I don't have to sweat as much I may outsource the timing belt (so far 780 from the dealer)
Old 08-07-2009
Registered!!

Ckutch02EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Whole lot of maint/repair next couple weeks

I really don't have any advice but wow, over 700 for a timing belt sucks. I had an 02 with 113k and I never changed the timing belt. Good thing I guess. I have an 05 now with 52,000 hope it's the same with this one. Just saying that I feel the pain bro, but I'm glad not to cross the same bridge. Bumps are useful here to
Old 08-07-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

buy the kit online, go to a shop and have em put it in for you.
Old 08-08-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard good thing of a place called Raxles. Look it up online but appareantly his quality is unmatched. He rebuilds axles and they cost around 118 dollars or so if you send him your old ones. Which is pretty good for axles. If you do your timing belt do your water pump and all that jazz too. While your at it check your front motor mount, it may be torn as well.
Old 08-08-2009
Registered!!

tarheel365 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tbohar
I have heard good thing of a place called Raxles. Look it up online but appareantly his quality is unmatched. He rebuilds axles and they cost around 118 dollars or so if you send him your old ones. Which is pretty good for axles. If you do your timing belt do your water pump and all that jazz too. While your at it check your front motor mount, it may be torn as well.
I'm compiling my list.
I did my front motor mount yesterday and did my own little inspection just to verify the dealer's claims. The mount was torn. I had ordered one a while back so it was an easy repair.

For the compliance bushings...any reason not to go OEM?
Old 08-08-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

OEM LCA bushings have a short life span. They don't last as long as they should and Honda knows it. If you go with Polyurethane they will probably last the life of the car, and I believe they are cheaper than OEM. ES bushings go for about 50 bucks, but they are more work to install as you can't replace the entire control arm. You have to get a shop to press them out/in. Also, if you get the ES motor mount insert for the front it should prevent it from tearing again. This is another part that has a short life span. But if you do this you will get some shake in the car as the engine will not have as much room to "Play".