General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

2005 Civic 2dr EX Key Copy

Old 10-09-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpaceShipOne is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic 2dr EX Key Copy

I only have one pair of keys. (I lost the other set). I wanted to have copies made of the key. Some say that it can be done at home depot and some say you must go to the dealer because of a computer chip in it. What is the cheapest way to have these keys copied? Anyone have an idea of how much they are going to cost? Also, I noticed the keys don't look like traditional car keys, do most places (walmart, home depot) even have the capability to copy these newer Honda keys?

Thanks in advance for your time
Old 10-09-2008
Registered!!

dryft will become famous soon enough
Arrow Re: 2005 Civic 2dr EX Key Copy

yes the key is electronically encoded. you must have honda copy the key. im almost positive home depot can't just whip you up a key.

THE CHEAPEST copy of a key is a non-honda name brand key.When i got a copy of my key they said the only difference between an offbrand copy and a namebrand copy is the H symbol on the key. I really forget how much i paid for it since its been a while, but the price difference between the two is really significant.

PLEASE REVIEW THE THREAD LINK BELOW ABOUT COPYING HONDA KEYS...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...-question.html
this 2nd link probably goes into more detail about the computer chipped keys...https://www.civicforums.com/forums/6...er-2001-a.html
word

Last edited by dryft; 10-09-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: 2 links added
Old 10-09-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Re: 2005 Civic 2dr EX Key Copy

The cheapest way is to buy the key from Honda and have them program it. Then take it somewhere else and have it cut for $2, the dealership is a rip off and you should avoid having them do any labour for you that can be done elsewhere.
Old 10-09-2008
Registered!!

dryft will become famous soon enough

^^^DEX you're a genius.
have you done this previously to confirm it actually works???
Old 10-09-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The later models use "milled" keys. These may require a dealer to cut ??
Old 10-09-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dryft
^^^DEX you're a genius.
have you done this previously to confirm it actually works???
Ya, even tried to do it switchblade style: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...style-key.html

You'll need a dealer with a laser cutter though, I don't think Wal-Mart nor Canadian Tire will have the cutter you're looking for.
Old 10-09-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeX
The cheapest way is to buy the key from Honda and have them program it. Then take it somewhere else and have it cut for $2, the dealership is a rip off and you should avoid having them do any labour for you that can be done elsewhere.

have it programed first, AND THEN cut???

i thought you have to put it in the ignition to program it...thus the ignition not accepting it. (at least that's what needs to be done with Mazdas)

how about buying it, going somewhere to have it cut, AND THEN getting it programmed at the dealership because of the chip?
Old 10-09-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

only works for 01-02, maybe 03. after that, key is laser cut. all 01-05 have chips in the key.
Old 10-09-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Okay sorry, buy the key, have it cut and then have Honda program it.