General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

one fog light is dead?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
one fog light is dead?

i had the console open taking out some unused wires from back in the day, i decided to retape the wires for the switch and the 12v socket, i retaped everything but now tonight i noticed one fog light doesnt come on?? wtf can it be? is there a fog light fuse somewhere? im not sure what to check at all. please say i dont have to take the console off again. the bulb and the catz zeta fuse is okay for the side that doesnt work.
Old 08-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: one fog light is dead?

did you check your grounds? i know that i had an issue with one fog light before and it turned out to be a bad ground, maybe one came loose. just a thought.
Old 08-12-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the harness ground is fine...
Old 08-12-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

How did you install it? Proper way is to use the connection that is taped to the wireharness behind the cig lighter of the center console. It sometimes comes loose, which might be your issue.
Old 08-12-2008
Premium Member

everything is factory, its the oem kit. i opened the panel where the wires are, everything looks fine, and now the panel wont go back on. awesome. i dont know why honda makes something as simple as a wire harness so complicated. where the hell is the fuse?? and how does only one side work and not the other if its all on the same harness??????????????????
Old 08-12-2008
Premium Member

and i have to take the whole stupid console back off just to put the trim piece in. and the problem still isnt fixed. now im gonna have to check the catz zeta ballast tomorrow to see if it failed, which would be a huge coincidence. just one problem after another with this car.
Old 08-13-2008
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

if your bulb blown?

i had an issue with my driver side not coming on, but my passenger side did. I took out the bulb and teh filament was still ok, but i bought a new bulb anyways.

turns out it was just hte bulb. Turned on normally after i changed the bulb.
Old 08-13-2008
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

wait...you have HID fogs...then that's diff.
Old 08-13-2008
Registered!!

em2.kid will become famous soon enough

check with an ohm meter to see if each wire is getting power maybe there is a short
Old 08-13-2008
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

there's a fuse in the box under the hood.... but it should be for both... weird.
Old 08-13-2008
Registered!!

aznprid214 has a spectacular aura aboutaznprid214 has a spectacular aura about

normal or hid? i had the same problem. first was with normal setup from ebay. one would turn on, id turn it off then back on and it would work. then i put hids in and eventually had the same problem. i found that the bulb had the filament broken in one part and sometimes it would line up to start. I eventually ran new wires, threw those ebay wires away and ran i think 10 or 12 gauge wires direct to the battery with my own switch. No problems now.
Old 08-13-2008
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all

similar thread on crsx that may help here
Old 08-13-2008
Premium Member

Originally Posted by HonCiv02
did you check your grounds? i know that i had an issue with one fog light before and it turned out to be a bad ground, maybe one came loose. just a thought.
lots of rep for you! turned out there were TWO separate grounds, the install manual only put a pic of one. not only was it in a terrible spot (on the abs bracket thanks honda dealer), the entire terminal and wire was totally corroded. i had to chop off the ring terminal and wipe the wires i stripped to get a good connection. ended up wiring everything together and extending them to the radiator support with everything else. ended up fixing a few other grounds too and putting several wires in the same terminal for cleaner connection. fogs work great again! thanks everyone for the help.

these are h3 halogen fogs btw, with stock oem wire harness and mounts, but aftermarket projectors and catz zeta boost ballasts.

Last edited by gearbox; 08-13-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2008
Premium Member

so tonight...its dead again lol. i was feeling lucky so i went up to the bumper and hit the light, it turned on but only stock brightness no boost. i take the whole assembly and trim piece out, and it works fine with boost and all. so i put it back and put the wires in back of the projector. i think whats happening is the back of the fog projector (metal) is touching the car body and somehow shorting out of something. so for now theyre both working again. at least i know what the issue is, and it made me rewire everything properly.
Old 08-29-2008
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

wow i guess im to late but i could've told you that it would be your grounds as there are two on each side(per fog light) one of mine was correded so it stopped illuminating. The other was actually not making good contact anymore from some kind of sludge that was on it also i had to make sure that it was touch bare metal and not a painted surface(which it was doing because my car got repainted). A 12v tester always comes in handy when diagnosing these types of problems you should keep one on hand.
Old 08-29-2008
Premium Member

two per side? so four total? i only found one per side and tied them to the main radiator support ground.