General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Feels like a broken motor mount but it isnt...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
Feels like a broken motor mount but it isnt...

well idk how long its been doing this but its been annoying me more and more recently. the issue is when i let of the gas at certain speeds, happens more at low speed but occasionally at high, it feels like the engine is juttering about like a broken motor mount but it isnt. u can reproduce it typically by blips of the throttle. it can also happen most when at really low speeds, 20-30mph, when im driving in like stop and go traffic. O i got a good example...if youve driven in a manual and had it to stall its pretty much that similar feeling but more a motor movement than the whole car.

ive had gearbox in the car with me to show him the issue and in his opinion he tells me its some sort of idle issue. we decided to have the car do the idle or car relearning procedure by pulling the fuse and have the car sit there idling for a bit then drive, etc. after that it still is doing it but a bit more.

anyone ever have or had this issue? the only major things ive done to the car before(before it was turned bak to stock) was trying to install a d16y8(believe thats its called) manifold swap but didnt work so just had my stock mani put bak on along with other stock components.

car info:
05 civic ex auto trans
roughly 26k miles on it
no engine mods any more

Last edited by crazyasian; 05-21-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

kuNhoHan will become famous soon enough
Re: Feels like a broken motor mount but it isnt...

my motor mounts blew on me around 30k ... i went to honda and they fixed it under warranty
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough

well idk if it is the motor mount(s). typically when they are busted the motor is cocked in awkward position, motor vibrates more than it should, and has really huge noticable jolts. unless yours acted the same as mine then i guess i might have to drop by the crapoship and see what they think or can replace.
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by crazyasian
well idk if it is the motor mount(s). typically when they are busted the motor is cocked in awkward position, motor vibrates more than it should, and has really huge noticable jolts. unless yours acted the same as mine then i guess i might have to drop by the crapoship and see what they think or can replace.
Motor mounts don't have to be busted (as in broken steel) for the engine to do that. Your cars mounts probably have worn rubber. The stock mounts have a crap engine support system. Oh sure, when they are new they are "okay." But I even say that loosely. If I bought a brand new civic, I would still modify the mounts.

So what's wrong with them? The space in between the rubber allows the engine to move back and forth. Over time the rubber itself wears and the movement becomes out of spec. It's guaranteed. So a couple solutions are DIY polyurethane-filled lower front mounts, and rear mount. Or install Engine Suspension mount kit.

But ummm, I recommend the ES inserts.

See here:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...-urethane.html

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 05-21-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

BTW, I'm experiencing the same thing that you're experiencing, or similar. I started doing the 3M WW method but man, this could take up to 7 days. It's so soft in the inside. I have just scrapped them out. I'm going to Summit racing equipment and getting the ES inserts. **** this mess.

I'm going to do the rear mount too. I hope it's not a total pain. If you want to fill up your mounts, my recommendation is to avoid the 3M stuff and use quicksteel. The cure time is like 1 hour compared to 7 days, and provides a stiffer material. Just see the link above for more info.

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 05-21-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i doubt its the mounts, your engine would be vibrating the whole car. they may be worn, but you shouldnt notice it that much. i think you should check all the vacuum lines, maybe one is loose or torn since you mentioned doing intake mods and failing. something might have been loose or left off, or torn just a lil bit.
Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

yea ill prob look over the area for any torn or loose hoses. pretty sure i put all hoses bak on and secured but once i get bak from my trip home ill take a look. i know i had hacked up some of the stock vacuum lines and replaced them with hoses i got from advance, made sure they fit snug. other modification was extending wires, which will be shortened bak close to its original length.

the one thing i did notice was on cold starts and having the car warm up it does feel like it has minor misfires or hiccups. does go away and smooths out when its warmed up tho so idk if that is something related.

if i can get a hand a good size pry bar i wanna try moving the engine with it. supposedly it is a good way to check. if u have time or want to help me diagnose this a bit further, gear, let me know. i kinda need a better place to work on my car, like your parking lot.

Last edited by crazyasian; 05-22-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol yea i made plans with someone today for lunch but later if you want you can come over. the surges when you first start the car are pretty normal, mine does it too (but i bet my mounts are going bad too lol). you still need to ride in my car, then you will think yours is a cadillac haha
Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

hahahah. o yea i forgot to tell you im bak in No.VA atm and wont b bak till the end of may. we can do it then.

but damnit man i cant seem to find my stupid stock lug nuts...its frustrating cause i know its some where but not sure where....arg