General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY: Torque mounts using urethane.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
DIY: Torque mounts using urethane.

Thought I would post this for reference. Really interesting stuff.

http://www.raktron.com/misc/mt.htm
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/do-yo...ml#post2725552
http://importnut.net/motormount.htm

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 05-21-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: DIY: Torque mounts using urethane.

good info...
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

repost but good info!
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Here's an alternative method below. Read the whole thread though. Don't get the wrong impression though. A lot of people use windo-weld and it works. But ****, quicksteel seems so much better...

"Yes agree about windo weld (garbage) but like i said inserts only cover 3 torque mounts which leaves the top mounts to take all the brute force and believe me they will wear out real quick so torque mount inserts+quicksteel in top mounts= Perfect combo if u dont mind rattling a little at idle and you can wrap it up and have it all done in under two hours "

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1941796

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 05-21-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

Yup, so I ended up taking off the 3M stuff and adding the quicksteel "putty." Holy crap is that stuff easy to work with! You just mash it together until it's a uniform color, then squish it in. Gets hard in 5 minutes. Gloves are mandatory.

So I got them in there, and yeah, the car shakes a lot. I'm really glad I didn't pay 40 bucks for the ES inserts. All it takes is 3 tubes of quicksteel for 15 dollars and it does the same thing. Shifting is SO much cleaner. It's a breeze shifting gears. My car still shakes a little on 1st and 2nd at certain points in the clutch engagement, but much improved.

I'm going to see if I can add windo-weld around the bolt (inside the metal "tube" that the engine mount bolt passes through). There is plenty of space around the bolt for the stuff to go into. My plan is to add WW into there, then completely remove the nut that slips onto the bolt. So in other words the bolt will have a big cusion of WW around it. That should eliminate the vibration while still having the benefits of the restructured mounts.

But for now, I want to see if they can break in or wear in.
Old 05-22-2008
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
Gets hard in 5 minutes. Gloves are mandatory.

Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic

^_^ Haha.
Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

old school mod right here!
Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

Stay away from quicksteel guys! I mean it. It just cracks and breaks off. There is no point to using it, unless you want it to last 2 weeks. I just lost 15 dollars and time right there. Oh well, live and learn. At least I can warn everyone now.

Yeah, 3M windo-weld is the tried and true method. It takes a **** load of time, but it's nice and flexible. But you better make sure that you clean off the old mounts perfectly, because you want the WW to bond to it.