General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

What is the best oil filter wrench/tool out there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
What is the best oil filter wrench/tool out there?

So I was changing my oil today and I had one hell of a time getting the filter off. At first I had used the regular filter wrench that connects onto a ratchet, but the filter wrench just turned on the filter, so that didnt work. Then I tried one of those tools that you can adjust, it has a leather belt on it, but that didnt work. Then I tried a adjustable wrench, and that didnt work. I ended up having a tech get it off just barely with channellocks, since they barely fit up in there.

I am wondering, what is everyone using to get this off or what would you recommend so it wont be a big deal each time.
Old 05-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
midnightblueEX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Buy some of those yellow rubber kitchen gloves, they will grip the filter good enough to get it off without a wrench, unless of course someone over tighten to filter way to much. i like my filter tight, but not to tight, the gloves still work.
Old 05-21-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
um get the tool from honda oem, they are like 5 bucsk
Old 05-21-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

2k2redcivic has a spectacular aura about2k2redcivic has a spectacular aura about
your hands. it shouldnt b that tight
Old 05-21-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You know, I had this problem yesterday... I epoxied a cap type wrench to the filter and spun it off. Then put the new one on at a point where I knew I could get it off. Damn dealer *******s cranking **** on, I can't stand it.
Old 05-21-2005
Turbos, Engines, Chassis and Suspension Tech

4drcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a K&N Filter. It has a 1" nut on the end of it. Works great.
Old 05-21-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
All my filter wrenches are too big for my filter cuz they are made for our trucks and machines. So i just use a pair of channelocks to get it off and then hand tighten it.
Old 05-21-2005
Registered!!

midnightblueEX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
where do you get k&n oil fiters i never see them at the auto stores. i always use pureone.
Old 05-21-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
only thing I dont understand about the filters is that it says once the gasket contacts the base, tighten it 1.1/4 turn from there. I dont like that because when I put it on, I go untill it is tight, not too tight, but tight.

Originally Posted by Civic_RedLine
um get the tool from honda oem, they are like 5 bucsk
I have one and it doesnt work for ****.
Old 05-21-2005

AzNTiG3R is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Genuine Honda filter :-D....and yeah, I use the yellow gloves, works like a charm. And why is that one dude taking his car to the dealer to change the oil?
Old 05-21-2005
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
just a reuglar oil filter wrench is fine! Thats what i used and never had a problem.... I hate those one wrench that goes over the ratchet
Old 05-21-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
i use one of these....

the grip wrench

i got it for free and i thought it was the biggest piece of **** tool ever, until i tried it with my oil filter, works like a charm. you can get them for like 5 dollars at home depot.
Old 05-21-2005
Godlike member

ex_03 is on a distinguished road
autozone sells the the cupwrench for our filters for like 6.00 works great, but yea it should only be hand tight. I have had to use it to get my filter off a few times worth it to me.
Old 05-21-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ex_03
autozone sells the the cupwrench for our filters for like 6.00 works great, but yea it should only be hand tight. I have had to use it to get my filter off a few times worth it to me.
thats the one that doesnt work for me. Maybe it is just because I have the fram filters on there with the sure grip stuff on the end.
Old 05-21-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dru106
just a reuglar oil filter wrench is fine! Thats what i used and never had a problem.... I hate those one wrench that goes over the ratchet
what is the regular filter wrench, I always thought it was the one that hooked to a ratchet.
Old 05-21-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by streetglower
thats the one that doesnt work for me. Maybe it is just because I have the fram filters on there with the sure grip stuff on the end.
no, those things never worked for me either...and i use purolator filters
Old 05-21-2005
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Originally Posted by streetglower
what is the regular filter wrench, I always thought it was the one that hooked to a ratchet.

Oops!! ur right i mean pliers......
Old 05-22-2005
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
I used to use K&N filters which had a 1" sized wannabe nut at the end so you can use a ratchet to get it off. I have pureone on right now, when I go to take that one off it's going to be a biatch.
Old 05-22-2005
Turbos, Engines, Chassis and Suspension Tech

4drcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know of where to get the K&N filters. PM me for info.