General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Just changed tranny fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
where is the fill hole in a 5 speed? i looked in the owners manual and they didnt show anything. so if i drain the fluid, where do i fill? oh, i dont think theres a dipstick for a 5speed either.
Old 11-12-2003
Got Bags?

HondaNation is on a distinguished road
well price is not too bad i guess ill go to my dealership too
Old 12-20-2003
Registered!!

Lucid484 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just drained and filled my fluid today.Ishift a little quicker and a little smoother.Nothing huge but I can feel it.I cleaned off my drain plug magnet and DAMN there were soooo many metal shaving and gunk on there,that I'm glad I changed it!
Old 12-21-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It's really important to do this every 15K at least. Gets dirty fast for an auto. I think there's alot of metal cause it's the first time changing it.
Old 12-21-2003
Registered!!

I hope so,My mileage is 25,000 right now so I'll probobly start changing it every 15k now.
Old 12-21-2003
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Well. . I'm still not sure how to change it for a manual.

The owners manual tells you how to check it and add fluid.

To check it, park on level ground, then you take off the plug, and stick your finger in the hole and feel for the fluid and see if it comes right up to the hole.

To fill it you put your car on level ground, remove the plug, and add fluid until it starts to pour of of the hole. Then you know it's full.

So to change it? I dunno. . I suppose you would have to get it sucked out. Some places do a flush, where they hook up a system that pumps the fluid in and out with the attempt to get everything outta there. Which sounds good, but my friend, who is a mechanic tells me that it's just best to drain and add, because a flush can take some of the metal deposits which are harmlessly sitting at the bottom of the pan and splash them back into the gears, doing more harm than good.

He went on to say that there have been situations where people will do a tranny flush, then be in the next day because their tranny is slipping. So he said that everytime he does it. . he just drains and adds.
Old 12-21-2003
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
That's why Honda only drains and refills. They're actually supposed to do this a few times, but mine only does it once.
Old 12-21-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Voiceofid
...it's highly not recommened to use aftermarket atf on our tranny, according to honda, the honda atf has a special stuff in there that other atf don't got, i got this from a friend who is a hondatech at the local honda dealership..

atf - must be honda...power steering - any that is specialized for honda...

horseshit...

honda just wants to *** rape us for bullshit, go as ur friend what does honda put in there that other don't have? more water?

i am using motul synthetic ATF... it works great... and because its synthetic, it can put up with all that heat i beat on the tranny...
Old 12-21-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
I use mobile 1 synthetic gear oil on my 5 speed
Old 12-21-2003
Registered!!

actually if honda was trying to rape us just to buy their ATF then it wouldnt be so cheap,would it =)
Old 12-21-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
just wanted to know what was the diffrence... and their service charges are toooo high
Old 12-21-2003
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Elite
I use mobile 1 synthetic gear oil on my 5 speed
how does that engine oil work what thickness is it ?
ive got some redline synthetic its like 80-90 weight
Old 12-21-2003
Registered!!

no real difference and their service charges arent that high! it costs me $32 for an oil change (only let dealer do it once now i do it myself with royal purple),$75 for a regular service and including state inspection if i need it and $100 for a full service!!! now my father-in-law on the the other hand who owns a truck,costs him about $325 when he needs a full service done...seems good to me.
Old 12-22-2003
dKj
Registered!!

dKj is an unknown quantity at this point
u live in ma, we live in ca haha. over here EVERYTHING is overpriced, esp in the bay.
Old 12-22-2003
Premium Member

Honda atf is only $3 a quart from the dealer here. I used it cause it was cheap. If you wanted to use mobil 1 or something (which has shown to improve shifting over stock fluid), you would have to get the whole system flushed. That could get expensive.