General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Just changed tranny fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Just changed tranny fluid!

Well, my car is an auto and coming up on 17,000 miles so I decided to change the tranny fluid. If you have the right tools, it's an easy job. Just unscrew the bolt on the bottom and let the fluid drain out. Then pour new fluid in through the dipstick hole. Same way the dealer will do it.

When I changed mine at the apartment here, it was terrible. I was spilling everywhere and had to use a makeshift cardboard funnel to pour fluid in. I even added a little too much, but I'm hoping this won't cause problems.

Results: After driving around for a while, I noticed the shifting was a little smoother. Puting the car in drive, reverse, etc was also less clunky. Even with the low mileage I had, the fluid was still quite dirty and there were some metal pieces on the magnetic plug. I think this was worth it and should be done around 15K to be safe. Now I just have to find a place to take the used tranny fluid to...
Old 10-07-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
Typically tranny fluid is something like 3-5 years/ 60k miles... or at least that's what i've read... doing it sooner won't hurt things...
Old 10-08-2003
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
That's what I thought, but it was really dirty and helped alot with performance.
Old 10-08-2003
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
wow
Old 10-08-2003
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
honda told me to change my gear oil at every 15k miles
Old 10-08-2003
Yeah, i drive an EP

BREEZE is an unknown quantity at this point
looks like i have something to do tommorrow
Old 10-09-2003
Got Bags?

HondaNation is on a distinguished road
damn! i havent changed mine yet!!! i think im soooo over miles damn damn damn! well gotta get workin on it now thanx!
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
I changed mine at around the same miles.
I have a auto and used Mobile Syn. ATX.
Shifting is smoother!!!
Definitely less clunky.
If you're one of the many that like to put it in D while the car is still moving back from R, you'll notice the difference.
Old 10-09-2003
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
It really is better to get this done at someplace that has the equipment to do it. It's more than just draining and refilling. When you drain you don't get all the old fluid out so the new fluid you put in will not last as long as if you had had it done. Shops have a machine that drains the fluid, then pushes air through to get all of the fluid out. That way there is a 100% change instead of a 60% change.
Old 10-09-2003
Premium Member

I just did the drain and refill (which is exactly what Honda does for $50) to save money. 3 quarts cost around ten dollars. If you go the expensive way of getting all the fluid drained, you might as well get some mobil 1 and pour that in. You'll need to get alot more, so that will also be expensive. I figure it's still cleaner with new fluid in there, even if it's not all drained.
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point
the only car i ever changed tranny fluid and tranny filter was my mom's van so far... no other cars are old enought to be touched yet..
Old 10-10-2003
Premium Member

There is no tranny filter to change, at least for autos. You would have to take the tranny apart to get to it.
Old 10-10-2003
Registered!!

Bogus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
How hard is it to change it on a 5spd? Someone told me you need to suck the fluid out, it doesn't drain, on a stick.
Old 10-10-2003
Premium Member

I would not change it if I had a stick. Since Honda only dranis and refills once, you may want to go to a shop that sucks out ALL the fluid. Then you can use a different kind if you want, like mobil1.
Old 10-10-2003
Registered!!

Bogus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm trying to think of the name of the tranny fluid I was thinking about......

You guy ever been at CarQuest. Near the register they have these 3 gears in a plastic case and there is some gear oil at the bottom. You turn the gears and see the oil cover the gears alot better than normal gear lube.
Anyone know what I'm talkin' about?
Anyone use that?
Old 10-10-2003
Premium Member

Well, Honda recommends using unly theirs. But mobil1 has shown better results.
Old 10-11-2003
Banned

my04wrx is an unknown quantity at this point
with auto trannies, you need to hook it up to a pressure machine so that all the veins get drained of old fluid. i did that to my car at 3.5k miles, and refilled with mobil 1.

with standard trannies, remove the bottom tranny bolt. let drain. fill back up with synthetic 5w-30. youll be fine. you should change the fluid ever 15-30k miles based on driving habits, how much you grind, etc.
Old 10-11-2003
Registered!!

scottop1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
i changed my auto trans fluid at 30,000 on my 2000 accord and by 37000 miles the transmission was gone. I know my mechanic did not use honda transmission fluid. so be careful.... I also would not recommend a powered flush of the transmission as this might damage your transmission lots of little things in a tranny and you will be power flushing against those be very careful.... i would hate for you to lose a transmission like i did IMO
Old 10-11-2003
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
****. . I'm almost at 40k . .I gotta get this **** changed.
Old 10-11-2003
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't worry about it pheaton since you have a 5spd. I'm at almost 60k and no problems. I'll be changing mine at 75k but not before that.
Old 10-11-2003
Premium Member

Yeah, for stick it's almost twice as long as auto. They recommend changing auto fluid sooner cause the tranny isn't built well.
Old 10-11-2003
Ricerus Maximus

not that it isn't built well, but that auto tranny fluid is under pressure when shifting gears so it's not just lubricating. So it breaks down faster.
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

Dticalman01 is an unknown quantity at this point
So...Would I be able to drain and refill the auto. transmission fluid myself? I have an auto..and Honda is charging $140 to get it done...but I don't have that much money to flush the fluid out...is it difficult to do myself.?
Old 11-11-2003
Premium Member

It's easy, but make sure you have a pan so the fluid doesn't get all over. Then get a long funnel and pour new fluid in from the top. It's easy if you have the right equipment. No need to jack up the car.
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

evol is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Bogus1

You guy ever been at CarQuest. Near the register they have these 3 gears in a plastic case and there is some gear oil at the bottom. You turn the gears and see the oil cover the gears alot better than normal gear lube.
Anyone use that?

ROYAL PURPLE?

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/rpro.html

Last edited by evol; 11-11-2003 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2003
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice

Anyone use that?

It's Motor Purr oil stabilizer. It's good stuff, and I use it in my truck at 150,000 miles. I would NOT use it in a new car. It's very thick.
Old 11-11-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone use that?
lucas oil

and it's highly not recommened to use aftermarket atf on our tranny, according to honda, the honda atf has a special stuff in there that other atf don't got, i got this from a friend who is a hondatech at the local honda dealership..

atf - must be honda
oil - any
power steering - any that is specialized for honda
coolant - any
brake - any, long as it's not fot5, or dot4, if it's abs

Last edited by Voiceofid; 11-12-2003 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2003
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I will be stopping at the honda dealer to get some ATF. Anyone know how many should I get? Also how much to pure into it?
Old 11-12-2003
Got Bags?

HondaNation is on a distinguished road
how much $$$ is what im woried bout
Old 11-12-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
it cost 4 dollars per quart at my honda, i brought a 12 pack

Quick Reply: Just changed tranny fluid!