Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Loud noise on 2005 Civic Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rosemary7913 is an unknown quantity at this point
Loud noise on 2005 Civic Hybrid

Thinking about buying a used hybrid with 108,000 miles. I took a video of the noise it makes on and off when you turn it on, The owner says it is the pulley making the noise and it needs a new belt tensioner. I'm sharing a link to the video on youtube. If anyone could identify the noise and tell me how much it may cost to fix, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. https://youtu.be/Mme5OvkEgag
Old 08-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Loud noise on 2005 Civic Hybrid

Quote from that video: ".....probly cuz the, the hybrid's not on." "....soon as that hybrid kicks on...."
SMH. Run away NOW. Do not buy it. Those guys are either clueless or trying to make it sound like it's no big deal. You do not want that car.
Probably flippers anyway. It looks to me like 5 scammers agreeing on a lie to sell you a broken car.

Pessimist here? Not really.
You don't want that car unless it has a fairly new IMA (hybrid) battery and hopefully a fairly new CVT transmission. If they say "sure it's new" they better have solid proof complete with Honda dealership receipts.
Replacement of either of those units is worth more than the whole car IMO.

The noise is likely to be a bad bearing in the ac compressor pulley. If you could determine that the noise comes and goes in sync with the AC compressor cycling on and off that would pretty much narrow it down to that as a source.
Otherwise, it would have been helpful if you recorded video with the hood up and moving the camera around wherever the noise is loudest in hopes that we might be able to see something useful in there.

If you're dead set on buying it, take it to a reputable Honda dealer and get a pre-purchase inspection done by a very experienced and observant tech who is intimately familiar with the quirks of those old hybrids. Get a complete shopping list of the cars problems and current needs. Make sure you get an answer on what is making that noise, along with repair estimates for everything it needs.

If $100 inspection stops you from making a $5000 mistake, it's money well spent.

Last edited by ezone; 08-14-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rosemary7913 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Quote from that video: ".....probly cuz the, the hybrid's not on." "....soon as that hybrid kicks on...."
SMH. Run away NOW. Do not buy it. Those guys are either clueless or trying to make it sound like it's no big deal. You do not want that car.
Probably flippers anyway. It looks to me like 5 scammers agreeing on a lie to sell you a broken car.

Pessimist here? Not really.
You don't want that car unless it has a fairly new IMA (hybrid) battery and hopefully a fairly new CVT transmission. If they say "sure it's new" they better have solid proof complete with Honda dealership receipts.
Replacement of either of those units is worth more than the whole car IMO.

The noise is likely to be a bad bearing in the ac compressor pulley. If you could determine that the noise comes and goes in sync with the AC compressor cycling on and off that would pretty much narrow it down to that as a source.
Otherwise, it would have been helpful if you recorded video with the hood up and moving the camera around wherever the noise is loudest in hopes that we might be able to see something useful in there.

If you're dead set on buying it, take it to a reputable Honda dealer and get a pre-purchase inspection done by a very experienced and observant tech who is intimately familiar with the quirks of those old hybrids. Get a complete shopping list of the cars problems and current needs. Make sure you get an answer on what is making that noise, along with repair estimates for everything it needs.

If $100 inspection stops you from making a $5000 mistake, it's money well spent.
thank you for your input. the guy talking in the video is my brother, who admitted he really doesn't know anything about hybrids. He said it is probably something really expensive to fix and said I probably shouldn't buy it. At the same time my boyfriend to whom I showed the video said it's worth it for how much we'd be buying it for (700) and he would get his mechanic to fix it. I just dont know. I should have taken a video with hood open but didn't think to take it until we were about to leave.
Old 08-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

700 is too cheap for a decent car. In my mind there must be something seriously wrong and/or drastically expensive for it to be that cheap.

If you buy it for 700 now, then in a month you find out it needs a $3000 battery or a $3500 transmission, (or both, ffs) what will you do then?

Maybe the floors are rusted out and you'll be doing a Fred Flintstone.

Again, if you're dead set on serious consideration, have a PRE-purchase inspection done.