Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Noise coming from under hood- Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brittany0622 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Noise coming from under hood- Help!!

Hi everyone!
I have a 2007 Honda Civic DX-G. I bought it a month ago from a used dealer and since then I've heard this strange noise coming from under the hood. It's a constant noise. Sometimes gets louder but it doesn't increase when accelerating..it's more random.. Took it to a mechanic who at first thought it could be the idler pulley...we changed that..still the same noise! Then he thought it could be the alternator...changed that ..still the same noise
Could it be my engine? Or a different pulley? I'm quite frustrated now and don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars getting it diagnosed at Honda unless I REALLY have to. Hoping someone may have had the same sound coming from their Honda or have heard it before & can give me some answers.
I am planning on taking it to my mechanic next week (who hasn't seen it since he's been away on holidays) but until then I thought I'd post it on here n hopefully get some answers. Obviously I know it is hard to diagnose through description/video but I'm hoping for the best

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Brittany0622; 01-20-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-01-2016
Registered!!

Brittany0622 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Noise coming from engine??!! Help!!

Here is the link to the video of the noise coming from my civic
Old 01-01-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite frustrated now and don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars getting it diagnosed at Honda unless I REALLY have to
Not that any mechanic at a dealer might be better or worse than whomever already guessed at the noise, but how much money did you already waste on wrong guesses? (idler pulley and an alternator, plus labor)

How many miles are on the car?
Does the noise go away or change when the AC compressor is running?
Do you have a stethoscope, or similar listening device (long screwdriver or wooden dowel)?
Can you remove the drive belt yourself so pulleys can be inspected?
Old 01-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

not much to go on with that video,

but if i had to take an educated guess i would say its a pulley or belt issue,

a/c pulley, power steering pulley, or something in the timing belt area, water pump, timing belt tensioner, timing belt slapping against the cover?

you need to remove the drive belts one by one and run the engine to see if the noise goes away
Old 01-02-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's a single belt drive. Would have to remove the belt, run it for 15 seconds to verify the noise is no longer present, then inspect all the pulleys to find the bad one.

Can't run the engine very long because the belt runs the water pump on this one.

I'd guess the AC pulley is making the noise, but this should be easy to figure out (no guessing).
Old 01-03-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP... What type of noise?: Squealing, squeaking, grinding, wobbling, high pitched, low pitched, etc...
Does the noise get worse or change tone when the air conditioner (compressor) is on?

If you still have the old alternator you could tell the mechanic to reinstall it, refund your labor and return the new part for a refund. You shouldn't have to pay for his incorrect diagnosis and guesswork. The tensioner can be spun by hand and alternator with a drill to assimilate load to listen for noises.
Old 01-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brittany0622
Hi everyone!
I have a 2007 Honda Civic DX-G. I bought it a month ago from a used dealer and since then I've heard this strange noise coming from under the hood. It's a constant noise. Sometimes gets louder but it doesn't increase when accelerating..it's more random.. Took it to a mechanic who at first thought it could be the idler pulley...we changed that..still the same noise! Then he thought it could be the alternator...changed that ..still the same noise
Could it be my engine? Or a different pulley? I'm quite frustrated now and don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars getting it diagnosed at Honda unless I REALLY have to. Hoping someone may have had the same sound coming from their Honda or have heard it before & can give me some answers.
I am planning on taking it to my mechanic next week (who hasn't seen it since he's been away on holidays) but until then I thought I'd post it on here n hopefully get some answers. Obviously I know it is hard to diagnose through description/video but I'm hoping for the best

Thanks in advance
It's the AC compressor shaft bearing and/or pulley.
Take off the alternator belt and the noise will be gone.
Do not fix it unless gets very bad. I have it like that for the last 8 months. You can install shorter belt bypassing the AC compressor for the months when AC is not needed. I have the belt lenght somewhere. Will post later on.
Old 01-11-2016
Registered!!

Phillip123 is an unknown quantity at this point

This sounds like a belt issue to me. The video is not really doing much for me to take a guess.
Old 01-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

It's "the engine" fo sho lol

That sounds like a bad bearing on a pulley, but recorded audio can be deceptive sometimes.

Do what ezone said